Limoges

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
curtis

Limoges

#31 Post by curtis »

MAD87

Limoges

#32 Post by MAD87 »

If you mean my remark about the house in Oradour, I noticed the assainissement individuel which indicated that there was no mains drainage. Although our house is slap bang in the middle of Oradour, it had a fosse when built, later decommissioned when tout à l'égout was connected. 'Toutes eaux' just means all waste (inc. rainwater I suppose) goes into the fosse. I'm not an expert on fosses.

Quiksilver

Limoges

#33 Post by Quiksilver »

Typical French logic :lol: A fosse toutes eaux takes the waste water from toilets and grey water from sinks, basins, showers etc. but NOT rainwater. The old-type fosse septiques took waste from loos only (eaux vannes).

Lori

Limoges

#34 Post by Lori »

Good grief ! Thank you.

DaveW

Limoges

#35 Post by DaveW »

suein56 wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:21 am
Polly wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:33 am Dave W. mentioned it being a buyer’s market just now. I mentioned to a friend that we were just beginning to think about selling our apartment sometime in the future.

A couple of days later an email arrived from a complete stranger wanting to know the dimensions of our apartment and the approximate price. Granted it seems that the woman wants to live in our building as she apparently has a friend living there and visits, swims in our pool etc, but it seemed rather odd and rather pushy. Quite a shock too, as we’d only vaguely started thinking and it suddenly seemed to have become real.
It's a Seller's market Polly .. which is why prices are high. Some sellers are asking silly prices for their properties.
The woman enquiring about your flat seems to be aware of this and doesn't want to let a possible purchase slip through her fingers.
Especially if she really wants to live in your block.
French women (most others too) can have a steely determination in order to achieve their aims.
If you read my original post, I said it was a sellers market.

MAD87

Limoges

#36 Post by MAD87 »

Quiksilver wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:39 pm Typical French logic :lol: A fosse toutes eaux takes the waste water from toilets and grey water from sinks, basins, showers etc. but NOT rainwater. The old-type fosse septiques took waste from loos only (eaux vannes).
Thanks for the explanation, Quicksilver.

AmandaJ

Limoges

#37 Post by AmandaJ »

Lori wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:22 am

Thank you for the information. I'll have a look. Do you not think Millevache is remote/isolated? Since I don't really know the region well, it looked like it could be a long drive from a hospital, commerce, etc.
Yes, you could be right, plus a lot of the area is at quite high elevation and therefore quite cold in winter. Definitely an idea to check the altitude. We're at about 500m but some friends about 40 minutes away are at 900m and the weather is significantly worse.

There are some nice towns in the Haute Vienne, for example Eymoutiers is a fair sized busy town and there are plenty more to the north west.
Hospitals in Limoges are 30 - 40 minutes away but there is also a good helicopter air ambulance for emergencies.

Spectrum

Limoges

#38 Post by Spectrum »

The highest point in the Charante is "L Arbe" 353Mt asl.

Lori

Limoges

#39 Post by Lori »

Now, I've added Brive-la-Gaillarde to the search. Weather seems slightly different to Pau and Limoges. Town looks very attractive. Smaller town.

Further research on weather in Limoges has us too worried it would be too wet and too cool.

It is amazing how weather can change so much within a 30 minutes to one hour drive in almost any direction.

curtis

Limoges

#40 Post by curtis »

In France, whoever you speak with, they will tell you about "their" micro climat !
Last edited by curtis on Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.