What a load of Rubbish.

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
Char
Site Admin

What a load of Rubbish.

#41 Post by Char »

niemeyjt wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 10:12 am Some people have been known to remove excess packaging and leave it at the supermarket for them to dispose of.
I do that.

Hotrodder

What a load of Rubbish.

#42 Post by Hotrodder »

If this charging nonsense starts up around here I'll be doing a bit of that, as well as using an old rusty BBQ to burn the rest.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Bayleaf

What a load of Rubbish.

#43 Post by Bayleaf »

Well, it's going really well at the end of the road with the new bins! NOT! Here's the contribution just this last week - there's a different choice every week, from people who can't even put black bags in the slot, or use the bottle bank (it's still free for black bags at the moment).
IMG_20220922_083447.jpg
The notices on the side of the bin point out where the nearest dechetterie is (2km away), opening times, fines for "fly-tipping". We think the latest deposits are from a derelict house nearby that's being cleared out. The previous week there was a load of old plastic chairs that OH said he recognised from being outside that house.

We've had allsorts there, including shoes neatly lined up in case someone would like them - I wish I'd kept a diary of the stuff we've had left there. The above stuff in the photo, the depositers couldn't even be bothered to put in the correct receptacles right there! Only yesterday, I witnessed some Dutch people unloading some crap from their trailer, breaking up polystyrene sheets so they could ram them in the black bag slot, then wondering why the door wouldn't work properly. Goodness knows what else they were ramming into the slots, just to save them going to the dechetterie.

I see other neighbouring bins, close to main roads, just as bad. There's already a petition in the village, that this system isn't working. I wonder if, the people who can't even get a bottle in the slot without breaking it, and bits of recycling all over the ground - are their bins in their house as bad? I doubt it!

Pffff! Monday morning rant over!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MAD87

What a load of Rubbish.

#44 Post by MAD87 »

Your photo looks like some of the bin "banks" here - in the past. For several months, the areas have been free of crap left in the night (including old TVs, chairs, even old fuel cans). Our mayor tried a conciliatory appeal in the newsletter but gradually threatened CCTV around bin areas. The situation has improved considerably but tourists still throw their rubbish in the street, inc. masks!

Bayleaf

What a load of Rubbish.

#45 Post by Bayleaf »

There's a sign up near these bins, saying under surveillance - fine of 1500euro. But everyone knows there's no camera! :roll:

Quiksilver

What a load of Rubbish.

#46 Post by Quiksilver »

I think a large part of the problem is that Conseils have introduced cards, limits and restrictions at the déchetteries too. You can hardly expect people to use them if it's dictated which one you must go to (even if the opening hours only amount to a couple of afternoons a week) and that you can only make xx visits per month. The politicos don't seem to have grasped that preventing people from disposing easily of their rubbish results in fly-tipping. All they're interested in round here is reducing the quantity that they have to deal with. It doesn't just go away!
The same thing happened years ago in UK. Wouldn't it be jolly if TPTB recognised that the carrot works better than the stick.

rsm

What a load of Rubbish.

#47 Post by rsm »

TPTB ?

suein56

What a load of Rubbish.

#48 Post by suein56 »

rsm wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:26 amTPTB ?
Usually .. the powers that be.

Blaze

What a load of Rubbish.

#49 Post by Blaze »

You would think or hope that people living or holidaying in the countryside would respect it and not throw their rubbish all over the place. A friend of ours is the Maire of the smallest commune in Maine et Loire and even he has problems from time to time. It's unlikely to be the residents, he's a brilliant hands-on maire, and more likely to be passers-by. It's a beautiful commune surrounded by forest ...

The village where we used to live had big bins for bottles etc and they were never emptied often enough. The nearest dechetterie on the other hand, was brilliant. We used to have the dumping problem when there was a big wheelie bin in the tiny lane about 50m from our house. Eventually we could leave our rubbish bags outside the gates for collection though never the night before or the foxes would scavenge ....

Hotrodder

What a load of Rubbish.

#50 Post by Hotrodder »

It doesn't take a huge amount of brain power to realise that placing restrictions or charging for disposing of rubbish will result in fly tipping. As mentioned above, it is well illustrated by the continuous stream of litter and crap dumped by the truckload in quiet lanes in UK. When I did my "grand tour" of Europe years ago I came back with a clear image. Italy was the worst of the lot for roadside rubbish. Today it is England. Let's pray France doesn't follow suit.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.