Macron -v- Le Pen (or is it La Plume?)

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
Hotrodder

#31 Post by Hotrodder »

The last time she looked like being in with a chance there was talk of expats being booted out. I'm running out of places to go.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

exile

#32 Post by exile »

When she was interviewed on BBC's Hardtalk, she made it clear that she did not have a problem with western Europeans remaining in France. That was however some 10 years ago and she may have changed her tune.

niemeyjt

#33 Post by niemeyjt »

I suspect it is the maghrébins that she is targeting. But just tell Mrs Hotrodder not to go out in her burka :-)

more info: https://www.lemonde.fr/en/politics/arti ... 313_5.html

Bayleaf

#34 Post by Bayleaf »

exile wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:33 pm When she was interviewed on BBC's Hardtalk, she made it clear that she did not have a problem with western Europeans remaining in France. That was however some 10 years ago and she may have changed her tune.
She may say she doesn't have a problem with them - but another case of someone who isn't 100% French (Egyptian grandmother?) and seems to have a problem with any foreigner. There are rumours that non-French citizens could lose rights to health care and any other benefits (and she apparently has a particular dislike to Brits).

I see she's using the "get lots of free stuff here" school of thought - no tax for the under 30's, retirement from 60. Increase pay in hospitals, and gets inundated with extra staff there to massively improve health care. Hmmm - someone else with a magic money tree? They can promise all they like, but once they're in - can they deliver?

It's going to be an anxious fortnight ..... :?

Blaze

#35 Post by Blaze »

Bayleaf wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:30 am
exile wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:33 pm When she was interviewed on BBC's Hardtalk, she made it clear that she did not have a problem with western Europeans remaining in France. That was however some 10 years ago and she may have changed her tune.
She may say she doesn't have a problem with them - but another case of someone who isn't 100% French (Egyptian grandmother?) and seems to have a problem with any foreigner. There are rumours that non-French citizens could lose rights to health care and any other benefits (and she apparently has a particular dislike to Brits).
I very much doubt white Europeans would be in MLP's sights - she wants to stop immigration from Moslem countries - Africa and the Middle East.
Retired Brits are no threat to anyone - they have a pension and put money into the economy.
Foreigners working in France who are paying into the health system are unlikely to be denied health care. For those working on the black/living under the radar, that's another matter ...

Re MLP and pensions "The RN candidate defends a legal retirement age of 60 (for those who were working before the age of 20 and for forty years)" This doesn't seem unreasonable, but equally, expecting a medical practitioner (surgeon, rhumatologist etc etc) not working in the state system to work for 40 years after training (as they have to do at present), is unreasonable. Practising delicate surgery at the age of 70 could be "delicate" ...
Last edited by Blaze on Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

MAD87

#36 Post by MAD87 »

As she couldn't manage the finances of her party and had to go cap in hand to Moscow, how is she going to manage one of the world's largest economies?

niemeyjt

#37 Post by niemeyjt »

MAD87 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:42 amAs she couldn't manage the finances of her party and had to go cap in hand to Moscow, how is she going to manage one of the world's largest economies?
I hope that there will never be the opportunity to be proved correct, but to answer the question - China.

p4psb

#38 Post by p4psb »

I have many French friends and it seems that most are saying anyone but Macron, does that mean they will vote MLP or just abstain or blanc (which amounts to the same thing)?

rsm

#39 Post by rsm »

For me this will be the same as the Chirac/ LePen sr. vote, with the people voting for the least worst candidate.
Le pen has run a very good campaign and I can see why people would vote for her,Macron appears that he hasn't been bothered, some will say he has had a lot to deal with, but not to put forward his "vision" for France gives the impression that its who gives a toss, what the population want.

Liz

#40 Post by Liz »

I think I'll have to go to a local market on Thursday or Friday, just so I can say something face to face to Le Pen followers handing out leaflets.
How do people live without at least one dog in the house?