Result at last?

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
L Austin France

Result at last?

#1 Post by L Austin France »

Just down from our house on a cut out in the hedgerow on our land, adjacent the road, is a fenced area holding one each of large recyclable & non recyclable bins for use by the 5 houses in our Lieu Dit.
Our road is on the way to the voie express & is passed each day by more & more commuters on their way to work in larger towns.
The traffic generated is, in itself, not a problem but the drivers are a bloody nuisance as they use our bin area as a communal drop in centre to deposit all of their crap with the result that the bins become full & overflowing within 2 days of being emptied. Unless we can get to the bins within this 2 day window there is often no room for our rubbish & 'drop in' clients have left their crap beside the now full bins.
We have been complaining to the CCA (ConcarneauCornouaille Aglomeration), who are responsible for the bins, for at least 3 years now & have lost sight of how many times they have promised to meet with us but didn't.
During this week's call from us to the CCA, who know us well by now, we mentioned how pissed off we were & that we were now going to the local rags with our story as 3 years was long enough for them to sort it out.
Surprise, surprise we received a phone call this morning telling us a Responsable would be with us today to investigate our problem. "Yeah right" said my missus, " that'll be the umpteenth time you've promised that".
Well, blow me down, a guy turned up this afternoon & agreed it was a problem & that our suggestion of individual bins for the 5 houses was a sensible thing & left promising to have the bins delivered quickly & the large 'uns removed. He gave us his card with his mobile number so seemed serious.
Result at last ? Us'll see :lol:
Last edited by L Austin France on Fri May 20, 2022 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

niemeyjt

Result at last?

#2 Post by niemeyjt »

Personal bins seems to be contrary to the direction many are taking - well done.

I just hope that the commuters with their bags of waste (presumably from other communes with a more restrictive waste regime) don't just become fly-tippers.

L Austin France

Result at last?

#3 Post by L Austin France »

niemeyjt wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:01 pm Personal bins seems to be contrary to the direction many are taking - well done.

I just hope that the commuters with their bags of waste (presumably from other communes with a more restrictive waste regime) don't just become fly-tippers.
If they do I'll just extend our cctv system to the bin area. :twisted:

MAD87

Result at last?

#4 Post by MAD87 »

There are unfortunately litter tykes and oiks everywhere. Our mayor complains about l'incivilité of rubbish bags being dumped between recycling bins, but won't consider CCTV to deter 'em. Locals shrug and blame the tourists, but there aren't many tourists in December and January...

exile

Result at last?

#5 Post by exile »

Sometimes the authorities and the companies they contract can be their own worst enemies.

With an ever increasing need to recycle (and as it happens a European shortage of paper/card based packaging materials) our canton decided to stop collecting cardboard cartons.

These they said could be delivered to the "local" decheterie for recycle - a mere 23km round trip. Like that is going to be good for the environment - 23km in the car to deliver two cartons. Said collection point is only open 2 hours per day, 6 days per week. Is it open the morning of the weekly market? Of course not but if you hang around 4 hours after the market shuts you can deposit your waste/ recycle on that day.

Result: Huge piles of cardboard at the village rubbish collection point that is not going to be recycled.

I have no idea how much cash the canton has saved but as far as the environment is concerned this was a move bound to be negative.

niemeyjt

Result at last?

#6 Post by niemeyjt »

It amazes me that councils think that the same results won't happen to them when they repeat the previous mistakes of other councils.

L Austin France

Result at last?

#7 Post by L Austin France »

Just had two bins delivered & old communal bin taken away.
Action five days from meeting with CCA chap must be some sort of record. It does pay to complain.
Result :D

Blaze

Result at last?

#8 Post by Blaze »

L Austin France wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 1:31 pm It does pay to complain.
I agree !
At our old place, there were two rectangular wheelie bins just up the lane behind our house for the few houses dotted around our part of the commune. Recycling had to be done in the village or at the dechetterie. The bins were overflowing by the time they were collected (every 2 weeks) as people who didn't live there used them. It got worse as people began to leave stuff that should have gone to the dechetterie and the rubbish was always strewn across the road. One day I took photos and complained of rats and the Maire came round immediately. The bins were moved for about 3 weeks, creating complaints from the bio farm where they were left. So they came back to us, this time 3 of them. But all was not lost. Shortly afterwards, individual collection was brought in - we just had to leave a dustbin bag outside the house for collection every 2 weeks. Problem solved.
Yes, it does pay to complain !!

L Austin France

Result at last?

#9 Post by L Austin France »

Just realised we've still got to get the fence, which enclosed the 'old' communal bins, removed to hopefully avoid any fly tipping. We'll give the CCA a day or so to liase with our local service technique before asking our 'new' CCA mate to arrange it or failing that a minute with my trusty chainsaw'll sort it :) .
Just as an aside; the two guys who delivered the new bins were charm personified & an absolute pleasure to talk to . They had a selection of bin sizes & asked us which we'd like:D
We've just messaged our 'new' CCA mate to thank him & tell him what charmant blokes delivered the bins.

DominicBest

Result at last?

#10 Post by DominicBest »

niemeyjt wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 5:01 pm Personal bins seems to be contrary to the direction many are taking - well done.

Our area has just returned to individual bins after about five years of the communal ones.