Karaoke

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
Liz

Karaoke

#1 Post by Liz »

Please, please will someone pass a law to ban caterwauling over village PA systems?
Normally here it's just in the café but tonight, 14th July, our dogs are cowering in the garage and we can't let fresh air in without our ears hurting.
I would go to bed with a pillow over my head and the windows closed but it is SO hot.
aaarrrgghhh
How do people live without at least one dog in the house?

exile

Karaoke

#2 Post by exile »

OK

All together now

Help! I need somebody
Help! Not just anybody
Help! You know I need someone
Help!

When I was younger so much younger than today
I never needed anybody's help in any way
But now these days are gone and I'm not so self assured
Now I find I've changed my mind, I've shut the windows and the doors

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I don't appreciate you being loud
Help me let my ears hear normal sound
Won't you please, please help me?

And now my life has changed in oh so many ways
My independence has just gone with the karaoke plays
But ev'ry now and then I feel so insecure
I know that I just need quiet like never did before

Help me if you can, I'm feeling down
And I don't appreciate you being loud
Help me let my ears hear normal sound
Won't you please, please help me?

MAD87

Karaoke

#3 Post by MAD87 »

We had La Fête de la Musique in 2 parts last month - successive weekends (why?). It was very much like your Karaoke experience, noisy off-key warbling. I feel I'm turning into a grumpy old gitess, but noise bothers me now as it must do plenty of others.

Blaze

Karaoke

#4 Post by Blaze »

Liz wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:27 pm Please, please will someone pass a law to ban caterwauling over village PA systems?
It's ghastly, isn't it, particularly in the streets. Fortunately we don't suffer from that round here but as soon as you go into a town in the tourist season, you are accompanied by music you would never choose to listen to.
We should, however, consider ourselves more fortunate than the Chinese and other oriental countries where music blares our over loud speakers all day.
The only annoying noise we have at the moment is the beep beep beep of combines/balers as they start work at midnight. The local farmers have ripped out all the hedges and trees here during the last 2 years so noise carries far more than it used to. Fortunately it's only for a few days ...
@MAD87 I've never appreciated other people's noise, even less so now ! I guess that makes me a grumpy old gitess as well !

Lori

Karaoke

#5 Post by Lori »

Yes, it is THAT time of year. We (currently) live in a village house, directly across from the Mairie in the center of town. So, like it or not, every single festivity takes place right out our front windows. I mean the stand for the band is set up just in front of our house. At least last night they stopped just before midnight. The band was actually pretty good, but after about 22h00, I tired of it. We could not hold a conversation or watch the tele.

En plus, tomorrow evening begins the dreaded 3 day Summer festival. The one with all the crazy rides, etc. Adults and children's rides that make horrible noise - and all the screaming involved. Dreaded. Really did consider going out of town to avoid this one, but I absolutely HATE traveling anywhere in July. So, we stay put and suffer....

Hotrodder

Karaoke

#6 Post by Hotrodder »

Clearly not the wisest choice to buy a house.
We are blessed with a reasonably peaceful location. Very few neighbours and none of them have children or barking dogs. Just the occasional unsilenced motorcycle ripping past to remind me of my past activities. The farmers have to cope with very iffy weather around here and do sometimes work through the night. I'm OK with that and applaud their hard working ethic.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Pathca

Karaoke

#7 Post by Pathca »

Perhaps the occasional disturbance is worth it for the other advantages the house has

MAD87

Karaoke

#8 Post by MAD87 »

Blaze wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:23 am
@MAD87 I've never appreciated other people's noise, even less so now ! I guess that makes me a grumpy old gitess as well !
I grew up in central London and might be expected to be more tolerant of noise. Admittedly a long time ago, but I've definitely changed!
I can understand a desire to catch up on 2 years of dull existence, but do celebraatioins / festivals have to be so LOUD? Are there a lot of deaf people here?

Loup-garou

Karaoke

#9 Post by Loup-garou »

Outwith Covid, for the last 10 years, our village (of some 84 souls) has had a midnight firework display for le quatorze juillet. This year it was banned by the Préfet. This decision was because the crops and grasses are very dry. We had nothing but the spectacular moon to look at as we wobbled our way home.

It was very, very quiet.

Lori

Karaoke

#10 Post by Lori »

Hotrodder wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:28 am Clearly not the wisest choice to buy a house.
If you're referring to me, we didn't buy it. We've rented it while we search for a house to buy. We rented it in June of 2020 while we were living in Paris (height of the pandemic), site unseen. It was and has been an interesting experience.