Moving house?

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
Niftyons

Moving house?

#31 Post by Niftyons »

re op. There is an awful lot of building going on in Pau presently.
if I was interested in moving there I would bare in mind the changes taking place.

Grangela

Moving house?

#32 Post by Grangela »

Thanks for your well wishes. Unfortunately my Covid dose was worse than the first round a year ago. Total brain fog. Couldn’t remember how to do things like switch the television on! I’m fine now and concentrating on worrying about the move. Our youngest daughter, who lives in Rome, is flying over a couple of times to lend a hand.
Angela

Mangetout

Moving house?

#33 Post by Mangetout »

Good luck, hope it goes well. I'm sure your daughter will be a great help.

Niftyons

Moving house?

#34 Post by Niftyons »

Polarengineer wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:20 pm Wrong Mad 87, don't tell anyone how nice we have it in limousin or they will all come.
Classic example of how to make a beautiful place less so. Infect it with humanity.

Grangela

Moving house?

#35 Post by Grangela »

We moved to Pau from Cannes on May 31st and are living in an Airbnb for a few months while the renovations are done. We are opposite a park which is an extension of the château gardens. Great for dog walking.
Our daughter was immensely helpful and is coming back at the end of the month to check up on the old folks.
Expat Prime tv is working well. I installed a Chromecast wotsit yesterday for Netflix and Roland Garros is on French tv.
We have a fly problem. I can ignore them, but Henrydog can’t. I lost him this morning and eventually found him cowering in the shower. He’s now in a curtained-off alcove. All anti-fly remedies gratefully received.
We have a meeting with the architect this afternoon.

Angela

MAD87

Moving house?

#36 Post by MAD87 »

The most effective anti-fly remedy is the old-fashioned fly paper - unsightly and tricky to hang up and take down, but it works.

A fly problem is due to the presence of livestock, dogs in the park etc.

exile

Moving house?

#37 Post by exile »

Agree with MAD's view but you could try pots of mint placed by open doors and windows. 100% solution it certainly is not but it does seem to reduce the numbers. Lavender plants are supposed to do the same but I haven't tried it but lavender seed does not seem to work.

Grangela

Moving house?

#38 Post by Grangela »

One of my daughters, the one in Sweden, recommends putting orange or lemon peel on windowsills. I’m trying it, but the local flies are unimpressed and Henrydog is still hiding in the shower! I’ll try the mint plants too, thank you exile.

Mangetout

Moving house?

#39 Post by Mangetout »

I am almost paranoid about insects in the house especially mosquitoes. I am very allergic to bites and have medication to reduce reaction. I have fly screens at all windows but it still doesn't stop mossies creeping in on your clothes. I use peppermint oil in burners and on the bed posts. Last summer I just couldn't work out how the mossies were proliferating without water. Then I realised the loo seat was left up in the second loo and that's where they were hatching. So there's a few clues to stop insects.

Lori

Moving house?

#40 Post by Lori »

It is really simple to buy mosquito netting from any Brico store - by the meter, along with some double sticky tape. Cut the netting to the size of the window frame, place the double sticky tape around a cleaned exterior of the frame and fit the netting on. It really isn't expensive and just takes a little time. Works like a charm; no bugs. If you are worried about the landlord not liking it (I'd think they'd be fine with it, but who knows), it can all be removed prior to leaving.