Moving house?

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
MAD87

Moving house?

#11 Post by MAD87 »

Wilbro wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 9:00 am I'm not too sure about the Limousin not bring too hot. Here in Correze we have had 40C this summer and two years ago was even worse even 500m. up!
However, definitely a wonderful place to live.
True, we've had excesses this year, but it's been general throughout France, even in the "cold and wet" North.
Still, you learn to live with it. When we first came here in '91, I thought anything over 25° was hot, now it's pleasantly warm at that level and needs a cardigan.

tagh

Moving house?

#12 Post by tagh »

The problem in the cold and wet North in the 7 years since I moved here has been drought. I seem to remember that we did touch 40 degrees in my little corner this summer but not for long.
Winters can be colder but the further west you go, the milder and wetter they are.

Blaze

Moving house?

#13 Post by Blaze »

Brittany is reputed to be wet but in the 6 years we've lived here, it's anything but. Summers have always been warm and dry and winters are mild ... and dry. We are being warned that if this continues there will be water cuts in the autumn as reservoirs are already very low.
We find the climate ideal here and one of the reasons we moved north from Maine et Loire - we didn't appreciate the long hot summers though we never minded the colder winters. 25°C is perfect but certainly not cardigan weather, Mad :lol:

Grangela

Moving house?

#14 Post by Grangela »

Very interesting replies. I mentioned one neighbour’s building project in my original post, and now the other neighbour thinks she might move to Brittany! Partly because of the building site and partly, according to her, because the people round here (she means summer visitors) are so ‘mal élevés’. That’s another problem with Cannes, there are so many résidences secondaires, it can feel rather deserted in winter.
I am going to continue investigating Pau. It sounds really lovely and MUCH cheaper than here.
Bonne journée,
Angela

exile

Moving house?

#15 Post by exile »

You all make it sound positively chilly here up in les Monts de l'Ardeche. We topped 33C so far this year. But it is isolated and that will not (thankfully) please everybody.

L Austin France

Moving house?

#16 Post by L Austin France »

Blaze wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 10:47 am Brittany is reputed to be wet but in the 6 years we've lived here, it's anything but. Summers have always been warm and dry and winters are mild ... and dry. We are being warned that if this continues there will be water cuts in the autumn as reservoirs are already very low.
We find the climate ideal here and one of the reasons we moved north from Maine et Loire - we didn't appreciate the long hot summers though we never minded the colder winters. 25°C is perfect but certainly not cardigan weather, Mad :lol:
Dampish here in the winter near the coast but nowhere near as wet as the micro climate around Hotrodders' gaff where, apparently, it rains every day of the year. ;)
Enough rain to usually keep things green & certainly mild winters due to the influence of the Gulf Stream.
The climate suits me fine as I don't like it too hot & can't stand snow unless I'm skiing on it in someone elses' 'back yard'.

Blaze

Moving house?

#17 Post by Blaze »

L Austin France wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:20 pm Dampish here in the winter near the coast but nowhere near as wet as the micro climate around Hotrodders' gaff where, apparently, it rains every day of the year.
Ah yes .... it's much too dry here, the rain is very localised. We watch it sweeping across the bay from the west straight towards the Cotentin peninsula, and it misses us completely. Our soil is sandy with a bit of clay which far from retaining water goes like concrete every year. Plants struggle to get going though once established are mostly okay.

Grangela

Moving house?

#18 Post by Grangela »

We went to Pau for a few days recently and I still like it very much.
The northern part next to the motorway is all new since we passed through. In fact, I don’t even remember a motorway! The southern, old, part is much more attractive and matches my 1982 memories. If we can sell here we may rent there while doing an in-depth search.
Pau is a 7-hour road trip from Cannes, and believe you me, that was nerve racking with the current lack of fuel. On the way home plan B was to turn right at the Med and fill up in Spain. However, we stopped in a service station near Lourdes and filled up. Power of prayer (which I only do on planes as a rule) or good luck?
This apartment will soon be on the market. Here’s hoping.
Angela

Blaze

Moving house?

#19 Post by Blaze »

Good luck @Grangela - renting first is a good idea to avoid any nasty surprises.

MAD87

Moving house?

#20 Post by MAD87 »

Good luck with your sale, Angela.