Moving house?

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
Grangela

Moving house?

#1 Post by Grangela »

Not sure this is the right section, but as I can’t find another, here goes.
We lived, happily, in a village in the Var for 12 years. Then, nearly 8 years ago, after health problems that needed proximity to a hospital, we moved to Cannes. We have everything we want close by, I can even see the sea, but Cannes has become a lot busier and hotter.
Added to that, our neighbour at the back has decided to build a monstrous extension to his small, formerly inoffensive house. We’ve protested to all the usual parties, but the build goes on.
Then I had a moment’s inspiration. Let’s move to Pau! It sounds a lovely place, but as I only went through it once 40 years ago, I was wondering if any of you out there know more about it than I do. For instance, which quartiers are good to live in and are there any bad ones. We want to be in easier reach of the centre. In an apartment, relying on public transport. We’re getting on a bit (78 and 83). So any ideas anyone?
Thank you in advance.
Angela

L Austin France

Moving house?

#2 Post by L Austin France »

Grangela wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:47 am So any ideas anyone?
Move north if you want to avoid being slowly cooked alive as climate change really takes hold.

Blaze

Moving house?

#3 Post by Blaze »

Places can change hugely in 40 years ! Go and visit it before making any decisions, talk to the locals regarding the proximity of good facilities (particularly medical). Bear in mind that it is generally hotter there than in Cannes because it doesn't get the sea breeze.
I agree with LAF, move north if you want cooler weather, but remember that inland France can get extremely hot in summer, and will only get worse.

Grangela

Moving house?

#4 Post by Grangela »

Thank you for your replies.

MAD87

Moving house?

#5 Post by MAD87 »

Come to Limousin! Not too hot, little wind, friendly inhabitants and excellent medical services.

Polarengineer

Moving house?

#6 Post by Polarengineer »

Wrong Mad 87, don't tell anyone how nice we have it in limousin or they will all come.

Quiksilver

Moving house?

#7 Post by Quiksilver »

The old chestnut about the French climate changing north of the Loire does seem accurate.
If you've got your heart set on Pau, would it be possible to do a house-swap with someone there, or rent out your place in Cannes and rent somewhere for a few months to get an accurate impression? Even after researching thoroughly, you really don't know what an area is like until you've lived there for at least a few months.

MAD87

Moving house?

#8 Post by MAD87 »

Polarengineer wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 8:20 pm Wrong Mad 87, don't tell anyone how nice we have it in limousin or they will all come.
There's plenty of room here, PEngie, and not many folk. Just so long as we don't get any Parisians whingeing about mooing cows...

Wilbro

Moving house?

#9 Post by Wilbro »

I'm not too sure about the Limousin not bring too hot. Here in Correze we have had 40C this summer and two years ago was even worse even 500m. up!
However, definitely a wonderful place to live.

suein56

Moving house?

#10 Post by suein56 »

Quiksilver wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 9:12 pm The old chestnut about the French climate changing north of the Loire does seem accurate.
If you've got your heart set on Pau, would it be possible to do a house-swap with someone there, or rent out your place in Cannes and rent somewhere for a few months to get an accurate impression? Even after researching thoroughly, you really don't know what an area is like until you've lived there for at least a few months.
If you could arrange smthg like a swap, as suggested, I think that sounds a brilliant idea.
There is nothing the same as living in a place to find out its pluses or its minuses.