Another canicule 🙄

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
Sparkle

Another canicule 🙄

#31 Post by Sparkle »

Char wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:38 pm I'm trying to look at the positives - washing doesn't need airing after being outside, and the bread is rising without any problem. :D
Trying to keep an eight year old occupied when it's too hot to go outside is a nightmare. :crazy:
Trying to occupy a ktten of around 8-10 weeks that adoped us but worse still on my walk I came across yet another kitten that can't be more than 3-4 weeks crying last Saturday in the road. It still had it's 3rd eye showing and had some scapes to it's stomach and leg which have now almost healed up. I had to get OH and we just had to bring it home otherwise it would have been - don't even want to think about that! In 4 days we've managed to get it to use a dirt box - what a stink. OH is spending every night on a put me up with it in a separate bedroom as our older cat would not be impressed and it has come on so remarkably. It's soooo cute, I've bought it some toys which it seems to love and when it's tired itself and us out it jumps onto the put me up and flakes out. It's bitten my thumb thro. playing which swelled but it's had a bottle load of vinegar put on my thumb and seems to be OK! When I go into the 'nursery' as we now call it, it comes running with tail in the air and seems soooooo happy it breaks my heart - who knows where this is going but it seems to be able to entertain itself especially with the little metal ball that tinkles - I've had it years and it's feng shui ie clears the negative vibes in the air - it certainly sends it to sleep when it's dribbled it around the bedroom - sorry I've gone a bit as usual.
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

exile

Another canicule 🙄

#32 Post by exile »

Good for you @Sparkle .

Been there and done similar. Lots of work but lots of rewards too.

manonthemoon2

Another canicule 🙄

#33 Post by manonthemoon2 »

Sparkle wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:01 pm
Char wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:38 pm I'm trying to look at the positives - washing doesn't need airing after being outside, and the bread is rising without any problem. :D
Trying to keep an eight year old occupied when it's too hot to go outside is a nightmare. :crazy:
Trying to occupy a ktten of around 8-10 weeks that adoped us but worse still on my walk I came across yet another kitten that can't be more than 3-4 weeks crying last Saturday in the road. It still had it's 3rd eye showing and had some scapes to it's stomach and leg which have now almost healed up. I had to get OH and we just had to bring it home otherwise it would have been - don't even want to think about that! In 4 days we've managed to get it to use a dirt box - what a stink. OH is spending every night on a put me up with it in a separate bedroom as our older cat would not be impressed and it has come on so remarkably. It's soooo cute, I've bought it some toys which it seems to love and when it's tired itself and us out it jumps onto the put me up and flakes out. It's bitten my thumb thro. playing which swelled but it's had a bottle load of vinegar put on my thumb and seems to be OK! When I go into the 'nursery' as we now call it, it comes running with tail in the air and seems soooooo happy it breaks my heart - who knows where this is going but it seems to be able to entertain itself especially with the little metal ball that tinkles - I've had it years and it's feng shui ie clears the negative vibes in the air - it certainly sends it to sleep when it's dribbled it around the bedroom - sorry I've gone a bit as usual.
Bless you Sparkle for looking after this little kitty, any pictures? Have you given it a name? It will be easier to home it once you've "broken it in". (If you want to rehome it) 😄

manonthemoon2

Another canicule 🙄

#34 Post by manonthemoon2 »

27° and nearly midnight.

I think I'm suffering with this heat, not much sleep tonight I think 😴

niemeyjt

Another canicule 🙄

#35 Post by niemeyjt »

33 at 7 pm - but we did get some rain last night - but not enough to cool the temperature by much.

MAD87

Another canicule 🙄

#36 Post by MAD87 »

Polly wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:51 pm
Sorry I can’t send any rain - I’ve never lost so many plants and mature shrubs nor had such straw-like lawns before and we’ve lived here fir 40 years. Even the 50 year old hedges are very unhappy.
Ditto, and it's heartbreaking as most of my garden comprises shrubs I raised from cuttings or gifts from the children. I'm currently keeping a euonymous present alive in a bucket of water. :(

Spectrum

Another canicule 🙄

#37 Post by Spectrum »

Thread drift sorry my SIL still irons underwear :lol: and handkerchiefs :? just like her mum :o DW does not :clap: . Cooler this morning my be able to get the BBQ out.

Sparkle

Another canicule 🙄

#38 Post by Sparkle »

@manonthemoon2 I think I'd better move my 'kitty' post onto the 'pets' topic. I do have some photos of both which I will post when I get the time. They must be out of the same womb so to speak as they look very alike! The older one has been named Mr Pickles the baby one will be Minnie or Cooper depending on what it is :?: :lol: for the moment it's 'it' or 'tiddler' :lol:
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Blaze

Another canicule 🙄

#39 Post by Blaze »

MAD87 wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 8:01 am
Polly wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:51 pm Sorry I can’t send any rain - I’ve never lost so many plants and mature shrubs nor had such straw-like lawns before and we’ve lived here fir 40 years. Even the 50 year old hedges are very unhappy.
Ditto, and it's heartbreaking as most of my garden comprises shrubs I raised from cuttings or gifts from the children. I'm currently keeping a euonymous present alive in a bucket of water. :(
Two or three days in upper 30s, touching 40°C nearly 2 weeks ago scorched some of our shrubs and did more damage than the lack of water. As for the grass ... the only things that are green are the weeds and even some of them are struggling. There will probably be a run on grass seed at the agri shops in the autumn !

The temps are now in the 20s so our plants are surviving. We planted nearly everything in our garden apart from a few shrubs and some of the trees so it would be heartbreaking to lose them. Like MAD, I raised many shrubs from cuttings. Every spare drop of water from showering, cooking, washing up etc etc goes on the plants and all pots have been put in the shade of bigger plants.
The temperatures aren't forecast to reach the 30s over the next 10 days and there is a nice cooling north wind. We've had to shut the windows on the north side this morning because the wind is so strong.

exile

Another canicule 🙄

#40 Post by exile »

Same here. We have lost quite a number of pot plants. The lemons and olives are surviving but most of the rest are sad or dead. I expect to have to restock my collection of mint plants over the winter - assuming the nurseries have not suffered the issues.