What was it - Air Force ???

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
Lori

#1 Post by Lori »

I was just outside pulling weeds (it's endless). So, I hear a military jet approaching and I figure it is one of the usual loud ones that fly high above and zip past in lighting speed.

Nope, this one scared the cra* out of me. It flew barely and I mean barely above the residential power lines directly beside our house. It was BARELY above the roof of the house next to us. I was weeding between that house and our house, so it flew directly above me. If I hadn't started to run for cover, I would have been able to look directly into the cockpit or even take down the numbers from the jet. And it was not poking along either.

It looked like this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault/ ... 37153).jpg

It was flying South from our 24120 zip code (near Terrasson Lavilledieu). Anyone have any idea what air force base does these runs round here?

Honestly, I have never seen anything so low to the ground.

L Austin France

#2 Post by L Austin France »

Get 'em here sometimes flying very low over our place, normally in pairs.
Quite agree. The do sneak up & by the time you hear 'em they're on you & gone again :o

MAD87

#3 Post by MAD87 »

I think they come from a base near Bordeaux.

Bayleaf

#4 Post by Bayleaf »

I was strimming in a client's garden near Périgueux a couple of weeks ago. Decent (Stihl) petrol strimmer, flat out, full helmet with ear defenders, and two of the beggers scared the bejaysus out of me, and the chickens, and the pigeons! My language was also very colourful for a while! :lol:

Lori

#5 Post by Lori »

Bayleaf wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:04 pm My language was also very colourful for a while! :lol:
Yep, the language was flyin' just about as fast as the jet as I ducked down half expecting this was the end. :)

Mangetout

#6 Post by Mangetout »

I get them flying over in pairs occasionally and the noise is incredible. Scares the hell out of me. Imagine if you live in a war zone, where you expect to be bombed. Hard to imagine the life some poor souls have to endure.

Quiksilver

#7 Post by Quiksilver »

I'm used to the fighter jets as I live on the side of a valley and they love valleys :D What I do object to are the sonic booms, though. I'm sure they're not supposed to create them over land but they do :roll:

Wilbro

#8 Post by Wilbro »

Sonic booms a regular feature here too. Yes, they love our local valleys.

exile

#9 Post by exile »

Same here. Sometimes we can look down into the cockpit for a brief instant as they pass below.

Bayleaf

#10 Post by Bayleaf »

Mangetout wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:12 pm I get them flying over in pairs occasionally and the noise is incredible. Scares the hell out of me. Imagine if you live in a war zone, where you expect to be bombed. Hard to imagine the life some poor souls have to endure.
Absolutely that. :(