Selling or giving away stuff

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
Blaze

#11 Post by Blaze »

@MAD87 The person who was supposed to come and pick up the shower panels has just said she doesn't want them now. They're going to the dechetterie this afternoon. Fortunately the man who's coming tonight for the radiator is genuine (he's a heating/plumber from the next village) because heaving that thing about is no joke.

People become demanding, expecting delivery etc. when you want to give something away. Then there are the time wasters and people who don't turn up and haven't the decency to let you know. When I think of all the time I've wasted over the last 2 or 3 days with messages etc etc, I'll think twice about doing it again.

@Hotrodder We'd thought about a cold frame but we don't need one.

Hotrodder

#12 Post by Hotrodder »

hughnique Since the actual use of fine porcelain pretty much died out in the late 20th century it has become mostly a collector's item. The sad result is that there is a glut of nice quality tableware and an increasing population that rarely ever sits down at a table with their family to use it.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

rabbit

#13 Post by rabbit »

You can always give it away via LBC

L Austin France

#14 Post by L Austin France »

I've only used LBC once & it was very sucessfull.
I advertised a tractor towed Gyro Broyeur for a reasonable price, ignored the few asking dummy questions & sold it a day later for the asking price to the first chap who came to view it.
Mind you the fact he arrived towing a trailer & had the readies in his hand was a good sign he was going home with it. :D

tagh

#15 Post by tagh »

Getting rid of good quality English books in France seemed a problem so I boxed them up, popped them into the boot of the car and took them to a charity in UK over several trips ( I was going over anyway) which sold them on and made a good bit for Cancer Research and others. It took several trips as it was the final disposal of my far too large library.
But what to do with the space I have made?

Blaze

#16 Post by Blaze »

We took a load of books over to the UK last time we were there (about 5 years ago :lol: ) and they were good quality and recent so sould have made money for Cancer research.
Emmaüs here has a good book section and many villages have a sort of book cupboard. Some places, particularly campsites, have a "leave one, take one" policy - good for different languages !

hughnique

#17 Post by hughnique »

Hotrodder wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:29 am hughnique Since the actual use of fine porcelain pretty much died out in the late 20th century it has become mostly a collector's item. The sad result is that there is a glut of nice quality tableware and an increasing population that rarely ever sits down at a table with their family to use it.
This is more figurines etc, realy nice stuff and expensive when bought, probably like everything else worth nothing much now.

Hotrodder

#18 Post by Hotrodder »

If you can wait about 50 years or so they will be much sought after as antique/vintage collectibles. Once the skills that produce things are lost they seem to become popular again. :cry:
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Sparkle

#19 Post by Sparkle »

tagh wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 1:48 pm Getting rid of good quality English books in France seemed a problem so I boxed them up, popped them into the boot of the car and took them to a charity in UK over several trips ( I was going over anyway) which sold them on and made a good bit for Cancer Research and others. It took several trips as it was the final disposal of my far too large library.
But what to do with the space I have made?
Fortunately, our local library takes all English books & DVDs.
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Nomoss

#20 Post by Nomoss »

I just let down a seller with whom I reserved a car under the LBC system, as we have a problem with our car and can't get to Alès this week.
He replied "Bonjour d'accord pas de soucis", when I half expected something more strident.