ETIAS or a Schengen Visa from 2024

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
elsie

#31 Post by elsie »

niemeyjt

#32 Post by niemeyjt »

"A bit late" springs to mind.

exile

#33 Post by exile »

They may get away with it, if the ETIAS implementation is indeed in October.

Not required this summer. Autumn half term is not likely to be excessively busy (too late for sun, too early for snow). So if part is usable for the Xmas rush and near enough complete for Easter 2025, they should keep the worst of the queues from Dover's streets.

Nothing of course is likely to change the long waits for non-EU residents and passport holders of course.

niemeyjt

#34 Post by niemeyjt »

I wonder what checks will be made on EU Residents - I would guess their biometrics will be checked one way or another - so they will also suffer delays.

Anyone know what will happen at the Irish Ferry Ports?

elsie

#35 Post by elsie »

exile wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:54 pm They may get away with it, if the ETIAS implementation is indeed in October.
It is EES which might be implemented on 6 Oct 2024 with ETIAS following in spring 2025

I would assume there will be a filtering process to avoid those who already have the right of entry to the EU with face/fingerprint images through passports/residence permits, etc blocking the EES system. So I would assume a separate channel for those (and an option to send cars back to the end of the queue if not all passengers meet the requirements).

beejay

#36 Post by beejay »

elsie wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 10:19 am
exile wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:54 pm They may get away with it, if the ETIAS implementation is indeed in October.
It is EES which might be implemented on 6 Oct 2024 with ETIAS following in spring 2025

I would assume there will be a filtering process to avoid those who already have the right of entry to the EU with face/fingerprint images through passports/residence permits, etc blocking the EES system. So I would assume a separate channel for those (and an option to send cars back to the end of the queue if not all passengers meet the requirements).
I have an EU passport but my wife has a UK one so which channel should we take when we travel together?

elsie

#37 Post by elsie »

beejay wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:48 pm I have an EU passport but my wife has a UK one so which channel should we take when we travel together?
I know no more than you, so there is little point in speculating on precise processes.
As I wrote "I would assume there will be a filtering process to avoid those who already have the right of entry to the EU with face/fingerprint images through passports/residence permits, etc blocking the EES system."
And presumably any vehicle with a passenger not meeting the requirements would be sent to the back of the other queue for correct processing?
We'll all have to wait until the processes, which could be different for the tunnel and different ports, are documented.
One example, from https://www.kentonline.co.uk/folkestone ... oc-298635/
Clipboard-eurotunnel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DaveW

#38 Post by DaveW »

A pretty clear document on who needs to go through ETIAS process. I assume the biometrics on the Carte de sejour permanent dovetail with the requirements for ETIAS; maybe wishful thinking!

https://travel-europe.europa.eu/etias/w ... d-apply_en
Plus EES
https://travel-europe.europa.eu/ees/faqs-ees_en#

It’s probably going to be a nightmare to implement.

That said I got my OZ visa in 20 minutes online last week, so let’s pray they can get the IT systems working..

I’ve only transited through airports in the Schengen area and they are pretty clued up on the permits and scan it rather than the passport, in my experience.

elsie

#39 Post by elsie »

@DaveW If you read the information in the documents you gave links for, you will find
The EES does not apply to holders of residence permits and long-stay visas

DaveW

#40 Post by DaveW »

Yes I know.