Spring?

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
Wilbro

Spring?

#1 Post by Wilbro »

In the last few days we have heard a woodpecker drumming, a butterfly in the garden and the crocuses are coming out. Nature's clock needs re-setting I think.

ajm

Spring?

#2 Post by ajm »

The lizards were running around a few days ago

Bayleaf

Spring?

#3 Post by Bayleaf »

Same here. While I'm enjoying the warmer days and (for now) drier weather, it doesn't feel right in February, which is usually the coldest, bleakest month of the year!

Certainly weird to wake up to a dawn chorus already! :?

exile

Spring?

#4 Post by exile »

Wilbro wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:54 am In the last few days we have heard a woodpecker drumming, a butterfly in the garden and the crocuses are coming out. Nature's clock needs re-setting I think.
Let's see how long it takes Macron to get them back to work!

exile

Spring?

#5 Post by exile »

Seriously though it seems like the shortest and warmest winter we have had. However based on the average temperature, 2020 and 2016 were warmer here - based on max temperatures from 20.12 onwards

Lori

Spring?

#6 Post by Lori »

Wilbro wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:54 am In the last few days we have heard a woodpecker drumming, a butterfly in the garden and the crocuses are coming out. Nature's clock needs re-setting I think.
Same here. Does seem odd. I figure Winter will return before too long.

Hotrodder

Spring?

#7 Post by Hotrodder »

You lot need to come to Brittany if you are missing bleak wet cold winters. :roll:
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

L Austin France

Spring?

#8 Post by L Austin France »

Hotrodder wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:42 am You lot need to come to Brittany if you are missing bleak wet cold winters. :roll:
Really?
Certainly rained a bit where I live but only cold enough to lightly freeze the nags & birdies water for a few days so far. I've only seen snow laying once in 21 years & never seen a road gritted.
According to the charts for our area the average low temp for Jan, Feb & march is around 5 deg with the daily mean around 8 deg. so, not south of France temps, but hardly cold.
I believe you live in middle(ish) Brittany where it is less affected by the gulf stream so maybe 'bleak wet cold winters' there but you certainly shouldn't use that as a yardstick for the whole area.

rabbit

Spring?

#9 Post by rabbit »

Yes here in south Morbihan it has been a mild winter thus far. Mimosa is in flower and daffodils are close to flowering. We have had flowers all winter.

Hotrodder

Spring?

#10 Post by Hotrodder »

I could count the days I have seen a clear blue sky since the beginning of November on the fingers of both hands. Dozens of bulbs showing only about an inch of green in sheltered pots. Most of the land feels like walking on a saturated sponge it is so wet.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.