Electric bill

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
L Austin France

Electric bill

#51 Post by L Austin France »

hughnique wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:10 pm I was advised by the woman from EDF cust. services that if my wall mounted convector was rated at 1.5 KW, then in an hour it will burn 1.5 KWH, 36 in a day, 252 in a week, and so on, very soon it will mount up and be a major contributor to a high bill. All sounds very plausible with one exception, for that formula to work the heater must be constantly energised for every nano second it is connected to the supply, and of course it isn't, a clever little device called a thermostat regulates, by way of heat, the amount of usage the heating elements are supplied with. So all these clever formulas are somewhat inept when trying to calculate total usage over a 2 month period
Back in the good old days before degree days were used to help calculate running costs we used a factor of 0.6 ie the heating was running at design output for 60% of the time.
I still use this factor & find it remarkably accurate when comparing the actual real running cost of my kitchen PAC from Linky figures with those I calculate.