Electric bill

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
Bayleaf

Electric bill

#11 Post by Bayleaf »

Something does seem outrageously wrong there. I would question what's using so much leccie, and try to find out which are the culprits. Either that, or some neighbour (or the whole village!) is tapping into your supply! :?

Pathca

Electric bill

#12 Post by Pathca »

Is someone doing a cannabis grow and tapping into your supply

Hotrodder

Electric bill

#13 Post by Hotrodder »

If you have any nesteggs stashed away I'd suggest cashing them in and buying shares in EDF. You might win back some of the ripoff.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

RobertArthur

Electric bill

#14 Post by RobertArthur »

Neighbours or the whole village, a checklist.

Lori

Electric bill

#15 Post by Lori »

Sorry for the double post. Can't seem to delete the second one.

We had a crazy electric bill once when we were living in Bédoin. I was certain someone had tapped into our electricity as it was SO outside the norm. Turned out our pool pump was running all night long each night. This being Winter, that couldn't be your issue (if you have a pool).

If you have a Linky, you should be able to look at your daily usage right down the the hours of each day. That makes it really easy to figure out when your high usage times are.

Apparently, it isn't unheard of for people to tap into other people's electricity. Could this be the case??

RobertArthur

Electric bill

#16 Post by RobertArthur »

Checking your meter. Everything, everything off, lights, heating, fridge etc. All MCBs down, except one, a circuit prises, to feed an electric heater. Check start and finish line in your meter readings after one hour, should be an additional consumption of about 2 kWh. Or ask a friendly electrician to measure the real time power consumption using a current clamp, the one in the middle.

Asking ENEDIS to check the precision of your meter can be rather expensive when everything turns out to be performing within specs. As soon as the behaviour of your meter is suspect, an official ENEDIS test report is very useful for a claim.

RobertArthur

Electric bill

#17 Post by RobertArthur »

The ENEDIS "Catalogue des prestations" mentions as one of their many services: " Vérification sur le dispositif de comptage", number F 420 C.

Where we read, page 43, the following:

Option 1 - Vérification métrologique du compteur.
La prestation consiste à effectuer une vérification du bon fonctionnement du compteur sans déposer celui-ci (un compteur est déclaré conforme si les valeurs d’erreurs mesurées ne dépassent pas les seuils de tolérance réglementaires). Le client a le choix entre faire vérifier son compteur par un technicien Enedis ou par un laboratoire extérieur. Dans le premier cas la prestation est facturée au tarif indiqué dans le catalogue, si le compteur s’avère conforme. Dans le deuxième cas la prestation est facturée au cout réel (y compris le coût du laboratoire) si le compteur s’avère conforme. Dans les deux cas la vérification métrologique n’est pas facturée si un défaut est constaté sur le fonctionnement du compteur.

Tarif de la prestation 368,76 € TTC
La vérification métrologique n’est pas facturée si un défaut est constaté sur le fonctionnement du compteur.

RobertArthur

Electric bill

#18 Post by RobertArthur »

About the many things your modern meter can measure:

The Sagem electronic meter and its lookalikes. Several menu options available.

The website of ENEDIS has an English manual for the smart meter LINKY ready for download, a pdf document.

Polarengineer

Electric bill

#19 Post by Polarengineer »

My 350m2 home and 100m2 watermill gite gave a similar bill until I dove into the reasons. firstly, get a remote wifi control switch (very cheap) on your hot water heater and install solar hot water panels and/or back boiler to assist. do not just rely on HC. control it yourself.
Change the EDF contract to Tempo. watch out for red days (notified at 1100h the previous day) that’s when you shut down everything electric, fire up the wood burners and cook only on the gas hob. Red days are ridiculously costly on HP so it is only for 16hrs. Hot water from the back boiler.
On normal blue or white days, my daily electric consumption is €7 or less and I can maintain this on red days.
Red days we go out shopping, work outside or generally do not sit down staring at an unlit fire or taking a cold shower. dress up for the temperature and move about.
I hope your house heating configuration allows for the above plan, if not, then maybe you could prepare it so for next winter.

hughnique

Electric bill

#20 Post by hughnique »

I could appreciate the costs I am acquiring, might be down to the large pond I have and all the associated pumps and UV clarifiers, but all the UV's went off September time, and not long after some of the pumps were switched off for overwintering. I can only assume that the "Atlantic" panel heaters, of which I have 2, set on very low, which would have been turned on when it started to get a bit chilly, are not as efficient as they were back in the day when installed, or are now superseded by something more efficient. We have not used the log burner much this year as a, it hasn't been that cold, and b, neither of us finds it easy to have the logs delivered, stack them up, then drag a few up to the house to burn, completely knackers me. One of the down sides of living the dream, I keep seeing all these heat pumps for a euro ads but am surely dubious as to what the hidden costs could turn out to be, and I don't know anyone who as had experience of an installation.