best way to kill a chicken

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
L Austin France

#1 Post by L Austin France »

our old chook, who I've previously posted here as going blind, seems to have suffered, probably through badly landing from a higher box, & is now on the floor & won't/can't walk.
We've made her comfortable but almost two days on she hasn't moved much & doesn't seem like she'll improve. She seems to be eating/drinking the things placed within her limited reach but it's not looking good.
Much as I hate killing any animal it seems best if she's put out of her predicament but how?
I've killed chooks for eating with a hatchet & our layers by the broomstick on neck & tug method but neither make me feel good.
We don't want to see the old gal just waste away but what do we do?

Doug

#2 Post by Doug »

L Austin France wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:28 pm our old chook, who I've previously posted here as going blind, seems to have suffered, probably through badly landing from a higher box, & is now on the floor & won't/can't walk.
We've made her comfortable but almost two days on she hasn't moved much & doesn't seem like she'll improve. She seems to be eating/drinking the things placed within her limited reach but it's not looking good.
Much as I hate killing any animal it seems best if she's put out of her predicament but how?
I've killed chooks for eating with a hatchet & our layers by the broomstick on neck & tug method but neither make me feel good.
We don't want to see the old gal just waste away but what do we do?
What ever is the quickest to put it out if its misery.

Quiksilver

#3 Post by Quiksilver »

I had this dilemma when a fouine attack left 4 of mine so badly injured and shocked that they weren't going to pull round. I once tried the broomstick method, but didn't think it was particularly effective. A breeder friend insisted that the kindest/quickest/least traumatic method is a good, sharp knife across the front of the neck. I suppose, like lobsters, if you've got space in the freezer, you could bag her up and put her in there for a couple of hours, then do the dirty deed. :cry: It's never easy....

Polarengineer

#4 Post by Polarengineer »

A friend of mine once said “where there is livestock there is also deadstock” It is for sure that if one keep animals, one will always be confronted with their wellbeing. If you deal with them for the dinner plate already, then why this question?

L Austin France

#5 Post by L Austin France »

:evil:
Polarengineer wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 7:01 am A friend of mine once said “where there is livestock there is also deadstock” It is for sure that if one keep animals, one will always be confronted with their wellbeing. If you deal with them for the dinner plate already, then why this question?
If you actually read my post you will find that the hatchet killing is in the past tense.
We had one spell of keeping eating chooks but gave that up as the killing bit was unpleasant.
All of our layers save probably one have died of old age & killing the one who had a broken leg by the broomstick method was equally unpleasant.
I hate killing any animal although there are certain humans I might make an exception of. :evil:

Bayleaf

#6 Post by Bayleaf »

Killing an animal - especially one that's become a pet - must be awful. I'd be inclined to take her to the vet and let them put her to sleep. Sounds wimpish, but why give yourself the trauma of doing it yourself?

I took an hamster to the vet years ago, and it had to be put down as it was covered in little cancerous tumours. The vet didn't even charge me, as I was in such a state, crying and all! :lol: Funny thing was - it wasn't even my hamster! We'd adopted it from neighbours and the children had been looking after him.

L Austin France

#7 Post by L Austin France »

The deeds' been done :(
Checked on her this morning but no change & still in same position on floor straw bed where she's been for over 2 days with no sign of improvement.
On closer examination it felt like a bone sticking out on her breast so probably an impaired vision bad landing from the ladder accessible nest box she shared with the tranny chock.
I used the 'broomstick across neck & tug' method. Not a pleasant thing to do but now she's not in pain.

Hotrodder

#8 Post by Hotrodder »

I have been in the same situation, having to put a hen out of her misery after being savaged by a pair of stray dogs. It was very difficult to do and left me feeling physically sick for a few days after the deed.
I have also had to call "time" on two dear dogs when there was nothing more to be done. Took them to the vet for the injection. Still felt sick afterwards. :(
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Bayleaf

#9 Post by Bayleaf »

Yep, it's awful having to make that decision. I took a very elderly cat to the vet one Saturday evening during last year's hot summer. He had adopted us years before, when his owners divorced and buggered off to different countries. He had always been an outdoor, semi-feral cat, and only in the last year had come and sat in the kitchen with us, and let me brush his bony body. He became so weak, it was possible to put him in a travel box (probably for the first, and last time), having rung the vet and asking if I could bring him in. I thought I could hold it together, but once she'd given him the first injection to let him just sleep, I had to leave the room with handfuls of tissues while she gave the fatal injection.

I then took him home for a decent burial, which wasn't easy with rock-hard ground. There are several cats' graves dotted around the place and I still salute them whenever I pass by. Bloody animals, eh? They squeeze our hearts to bits.

Our valley also has the "spirit" of several horses that have ended their retired days here over the years. None ours, thankfully, but that day will come.

@L Austin France . Well done for doing the deed. Chook is out of pain now, and it was quick - that's the best you can hope for.

Lori

#10 Post by Lori »

We do get attached to our animal friends. No matter what animal they are, it is terrible to have to put them down.

I'm sorry your feathered friend fell ill LAF. She is out of pain now and that has to be a relief.