Beware of french washing

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
tagh

Beware of french washing

#1 Post by tagh »

Bayleaf

Beware of french washing

#2 Post by Bayleaf »

Paywall, unfortunately.

Yonner

Beware of french washing

#3 Post by Yonner »

use "12 foot ladder" to get around the paywall

tagh

Beware of french washing

#4 Post by tagh »

That’s odd, I dont pay and their wasnt a paywall.

Bayleaf

Beware of french washing

#5 Post by Bayleaf »

No idea what 12foot ladder means, and I don't want to accept their cookies, or subscribe. Perhaps someone could copy and paste the gist of the article?

RobertArthur

Beware of french washing

#6 Post by RobertArthur »

Back in time, the gist. Read one of the many stories about the industrial policy (?) under président
François Hollande. The situation today, translation from that article in Lefigaro:

< DECRYPTAGE - A blue-white-red border, a map of France or even the words "Made in France" - many packagings promise customers that they are eating French food... Or so it would seem. It's no secret that 'Made in France' sells. You only have to look at the number of products on supermarket shelves displaying a tricolour flag to realise that it has even become a selling point. Driven by consumers' desire to buy more locally and more ethically, some manufacturers no longer hesitate to hijack codes and create confusion to sell their products, which are often produced outside France. This is known as "French washing". >

Hotrodder

Beware of french washing

#7 Post by Hotrodder »

Bayleaf wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:13 pm Paywall, unfortunately.
I use what I like to call my "Paywall breaker". When you end up on a link and hit a paywall just right click on the page address at the top of your browser and copy the link. Then go to https://archive.ph/ and paste your copied address into the black "query" box at the bottom. Hit the Search button, and 9 times out of 10 you will get the page you wanted without the Paywall, etc. Seems to work on UK newspaper sites and quite a few other sites that require a load of hoops to be jumped through.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Blaze

Beware of french washing

#8 Post by Blaze »

No paywall here and I'm not a subscriber.
As we buy most things directly/locally, we're pretty sure of what we're getting.

Hotrodder

Beware of french washing

#9 Post by Hotrodder »

Easy enough to know. If its unusually cheap, its Chinese. If its expensive it may be French or Chinese including obscene profit for the retailer.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

exile

Beware of french washing

#10 Post by exile »

That is not the issue @Hotrodder .

The issue is when I for example create an apricot tart. I sell it as French produced, but the butter for the pastry came from the Netherlands, The apricots came from Türkiye*. The milk products for the pastry came from Belgium. The flour was produced from Ukrainian grain.

But I put it all together and sell it as French.

Or

I buy in Welsh lamb, keep them for 2 weeks (I think that is the cut off point) and can then sell them as French raised lamb. (Nothing against Welsh lamb you understand.)

* ever politically correct spell checker insists that I use the Turkish spelling.