Missing post - where does it go?

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
Headers

#1 Post by Headers »

I am beginning to wonder what happens to all the post that is not getting delivered because of an incorrect address.
We have a new postie and they are insistent that they cannot deliver post if the address is not exact. So what do they do with it then? How are we supposed to know if they haven’t delivered something especially if it’s just a card or there is no return address on it.

My neighbour ended up with a red demand for her water bill which they amazingly did manage to deliver with the incorrect address but she hadn’t had the original bill and of course she is not on the internet.

DominicBest

#2 Post by DominicBest »

I was talking to friends last week who had just managed to get all the paperwork together for a project they had been planning for years. They got the address of the department that they needed to send it to from the internet and posted it. I presume it was registered post because some of the certificates took some getting. When they had heard nothing after a month they contacted the department by phone, explained what they had done and said that they were surprised that they had not heard anything. After a few checks they were told that their application had not been received. To cut a long story short they were told that the address that they had got from the Internet hadn’t been used for years. I’m seeing them again in a week’s time, I must ask if their documents ever turned up.

Hotrodder

#3 Post by Hotrodder »

I am not surprised to hear that. Some internet websites are neglected for years and so poorly designed they appear to serve no useful purpose. I have also noticed that Pages Jaunes and several trade directories show out of date addresses and opening hours. When I first moved here I needed to pay my taxe fonciere and got their address from Pages Jaunes only to find the office had been moved to another town two years previously.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

exile

#4 Post by exile »

Examples I have come across with internet pages out of date have been caused by:

A link not being updated to take you to the current page.
Out of date pages not being deleted, so that they can appear in searches with no indication that the www address is no longer current.