UK state pension

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
A.N.Other

UK state pension

#11 Post by A.N.Other »

It seems I was mistaken in my belief that only the State pension itself was subject to the rise as it does in fact extend to the SERPS and graduated pension elements also.

Having just picked up my letter this morning mine is going up by £18.17 week :D which equates to 8.9% so it's a fair guess that 9.3 does mean 9.3% as £9.30 would imply that hughnique was only getting something like half of the full pension, which is of course possible.

hughnique

UK state pension

#12 Post by hughnique »

I assume that there is a two tier system in place with the state pension, if you retired and claimed state pension some time after I did, 2015, then not only did the qualifying years reduce but the sum of the payment was more. Seems a bit arse about face as you paid less in and get more out, do they actually have any accountants at the DWP. My pension rise this year was £74.48 a month, which represents a 9.3% overall rise, whatever way the pension is made up, I don't know.

Wilbro

UK state pension

#13 Post by Wilbro »

I trust that all these calculations take into account that the SP is paid 4 weekly and not calendar monthly.

hughnique

UK state pension

#14 Post by hughnique »

I thought all state pensions were paid on a four weekly basis

Wilbro

UK state pension

#15 Post by Wilbro »

Yes but I'm talking about the easy mistake of thinking that by multiplying the weekly pay by 4 and then 12 instead of 13 and getting a wrong answer. Similarly thinking the monthly amount declared by the DWP is a calendar month when in fact it's a lunar (4 weekly) month.

ajm

UK state pension

#16 Post by ajm »

Keep it simple. DWP tell you your new weekly payment so divide your existing payment by 4 and compare without worrging about calendar /lunar months.

Hotrodder

UK state pension

#17 Post by Hotrodder »

OH has been on the phone to DWP all afternoon trying to get through to a live body. No luck yet. :roll:
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

suein56

UK state pension

#18 Post by suein56 »

Hotrodder wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 4:10 pm OH has been on the phone to DWP all afternoon trying to get through to a live body. No luck yet.
You can do that but you can also send them a secure message online - they do reply.
Remember DWP does not deal with UK citizens who are pensioners and are resident abroad, that is IPS - The International Pension Service.
This is whom I contacted :
https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/contact-the-i ... ntact-form

Hotrodder

UK state pension

#19 Post by Hotrodder »

I will let her know. But she wanted clarification regarding a letter she had from DWP specifically. The other lot might not know what it is about. Anyway, she never got through so will be playing the game again tomorrow.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

A.N.Other

UK state pension

#20 Post by A.N.Other »

hughnique wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:35 amI assume that there is a two tier system in place with the state pension, if you retired and claimed state pension some time after I did, 2015, then not only did the qualifying years reduce but the sum of the payment was more.
Yes, there is the old scheme and the new the difference being offset in part by old pension recipients I believe potentially having access to certain means tested benefits which new pension recipients do not. Most of course really only apply to UK residents.

My pension, which I claimed in 2012, is under the old scheme however due to additional components I actually get (pre increase) £205/wk.