Hypocrisy at it's finest re Migrant Crossings

:fr: Drop in for a natter about anything French related.
Bayleaf

#21 Post by Bayleaf »

:lol: Thank goodness I wasn't sipping my hot chocolate when I read your opening line, @exile :lol:

Don't forget, the whole point of Brexshite (apart from the off shore accounts and continuing corruption) was to stop as many nasty furriners as possible from living in the UK. So, of course those "in charge" don't really want to do anything to help more migrants. They'll just make it sound like they do, whilst deepening divisions with their neighbours...

"How to lose friends and alienate yourselves" - they've got that down to a tee!

ExMontpelliérain

#22 Post by ExMontpelliérain »

Bayleaf wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:19 am Yes, just seen that! How many times has that man caused trouble by opening his flappy gob?!!
Indeed - remember the last time Baffle tried his hand at diplomacy? She's still in gaol.
Nous sommes nos choix.

Char
Site Admin

#23 Post by Char »

I don't know why the UK gov haven't taken up the proposal from the French gov, for a new safe, legal route, and send British border force officers to France to examine claims for asylum.

Bayleaf

#24 Post by Bayleaf »

Char wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:12 pm I don't know why the UK gov haven't taken up the proposal from the French gov, for a new safe, legal route, and send British border force officers to France to examine claims for asylum.
Far too grown up and sensible! UK Gov don't seem capable of either!

exile

#25 Post by exile »

Too many chums with shares in the owners of G4S who run the asylum holding camps for anything so sensible to be taken up. This is essentially what I posted on page 1 though I have never claimed it as my idea since it's been around for years from the refugee organisations and Red Cross.

niemeyjt

#26 Post by niemeyjt »

Char wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:12 pmI don't know why the UK gov haven't taken up the proposal from the French gov, for a new safe, legal route, and send British border force officers to France to examine claims for asylum.
Given one of the identified victims of last week's tragedy was on her way to join her husband who was, I understand, legally in the UK - then that was something that might have saved her life - assuming of course that she had not previously applied and been rejected (and was thus likely to have been rejected by a French-based reception centre)

But what of those rejected by any future reception centre in France? Repatriation? Or will they just end up looking for a boat still? French-based reception centres are only part of a solution - not the entire solution.

exile

#27 Post by exile »

You are right J but in theory anyone who then takes to the boats is by definition trying to enter the UK illegally ( as in with no right to reside). Redress should therefore be quick. Not everyone has a right to reside in the UK but the stats suggest that many do have a right and as I posted earlier in the thread having fled a war zone or the like about their only chance currently of asking for asylum is to rock up on the South Coast.

Headers

#28 Post by Headers »

niemeyjt wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:46 pm
Char wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:12 pmI don't know why the UK gov haven't taken up the proposal from the French gov, for a new safe, legal route, and send British border force officers to France to examine claims for asylum.
Given one of the identified victims of last week's tragedy was on her way to join her husband who was, I understand, legally in the UK - then that was something that might have saved her life - assuming of course that she had not previously applied and been rejected (and was thus likely to have been rejected by a French-based reception centre)

But what of those rejected by any future reception centre in France? Repatriation? Or will they just end up looking for a boat still? French-based reception centres are only part of a solution - not the entire solution.
she was in fact his fiancée, but under the U.K. immigration rules even if they were married she would need an income of 18k to be eligible. But if you are a multi-millionaire….no problem.

Blaze

#29 Post by Blaze »

I wonder if some of the migrants don't have passports. I understand many don't have papers on them so that their nationality cannot easily be ascertained and they can't be sent back to their country of origin.
Why did the identified woman not travel by "ordinary" means ? She probably paid the passeurs more than it would have cost to fly or take buses, trains etc.

Bayleaf

#30 Post by Bayleaf »

Yes, I wondered that - but probably didn't have enough correct paperwork to get through normal travel options. :cry: