Tour de France

DominicBest

Tour de France

#81 Post by DominicBest »

The thing that I find strange (in a good way) is the lack of tattoos on display. In nearly every other top level sport they seem to be a basic requirement but professional cyclists seem to do without.

tagh

Tour de France

#82 Post by tagh »

They are coming as some countries are building teams such as as Ethiopia but it takes time and investment.

rabbit

Tour de France

#83 Post by rabbit »

And why are there so few non-white riders?

Blaze

Tour de France

#84 Post by Blaze »

rabbit wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 10:08 am And why are there so few non-white riders?
This has been a point of discussion for many years and there are many possible reasons. This article gives some good explanations :
https://sport24.info.pl/why-is-cycling- ... hite-sport

It would seem that due to the cost, cycling as a sport is often out of the reach of non-whites. Despite protestations to the contrary, there is little encouragement for non-whites, leaving them feeling that their presence is undesirable. It is suggested that more could be done to encourage cycling clubs in minority groups ....

rabbit

Tour de France

#85 Post by rabbit »

Interesting article. But it only focuses on black would be cyclists. The lack of finance would not be the case for middle class Chinese, Japanese who would seem to have an ideal physique for climbing. Yes there are a few Japanese riders but very few and no Chinese that I know of. Then there is India the Middle East and again no riders. I think it more likely a lack of interest in the sport rather than other barriers to entry

Blaze

Tour de France

#86 Post by Blaze »

Rabbit - I think it may also be a culture thing : Think of the millions of people who use a bicycle for necessity in, say, India and China (remember the song "There are 9 million bicycles in Beijing") so those users are unlikely to see a cycling as a leisure of sport. For those that could afford it, cycling would seem to be looked down on.
And yes, lack of interest as much as anything else.