Sir Bobby RIP

Oldblueraincoat

Sir Bobby RIP

#1 Post by Oldblueraincoat »

Watching the coverage of Bobby Charltons death on TV this evening brought back so many memories of the great man especially of his incredible performance during the World Cup in 1966. Not only the greatest english footballer of his generation but a true gentleman who was born into a mining family and never lost sight of his roots. I am surprised that l have shed a tear at his passing in this world we live in but we are all children of our generation and l am so pleased l lived to watch him play the glorious game. ♥ ♥ ♥

MAD87

Sir Bobby RIP

#2 Post by MAD87 »

Can't argue with you. A great footballer and, as you say, a real gentleman. So sad that he spent his last years with dementia.

niemeyjt

Sir Bobby RIP

#3 Post by niemeyjt »

I must admit when I see the current bunch of over-paid (mostly) prima-donnas with the star he earned on their chest I wonder what must have gone through his mind.

Blaze

Sir Bobby RIP

#4 Post by Blaze »

Who doesn't remember him and how he inspired so many young fellas to take up the game.
Can't help but agree with you, J.

Wilbro

Sir Bobby RIP

#5 Post by Wilbro »

Yes what a player. In the day's when football was truly a man's game he could set the place alight with his shooting. One of two brother's who were head and shoulders above the prancing fairies that play today.
RIP Sir Bob.

Chappers51

Sir Bobby RIP

#6 Post by Chappers51 »

A brilliant player and a gentleman on and off the pitch.

hughnique

Sir Bobby RIP

#7 Post by hughnique »

I saw a brief glimpse of a picture of him whilst the football focus was playing away in the background, and I thought blimey he has been dead a few years, little realising he had just passed.

niemeyjt

Sir Bobby RIP

#8 Post by niemeyjt »

His brother Jack died a few years ago.

Wilbro

Sir Bobby RIP

#9 Post by Wilbro »

World cup '66 and watching England play France in a Paris bar. Three of us with a gang of French lads and I'm sure there was a shiver went through the bar if Charlton got within shooting range.
2-0 England so the French lads hammered us at table football to get revenge.

glazedallover

Sir Bobby RIP

#10 Post by glazedallover »

Great player . Saw him a few times at Selhurst Park. Unbelievably I missed the 1966 World Cup Final cos I was camping in Epping Forest with the Woodcraft Folk .