Page 1 of 1

Sir Bobby RIP

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 5:35 pm
by Oldblueraincoat
Watching the coverage of Bobby Charltons death on TV this evening brought back so many memories of the great man especially of his incredible performance during the World Cup in 1966. Not only the greatest english footballer of his generation but a true gentleman who was born into a mining family and never lost sight of his roots. I am surprised that l have shed a tear at his passing in this world we live in but we are all children of our generation and l am so pleased l lived to watch him play the glorious game. ♥ ♥ ♥

Sir Bobby RIP

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:20 pm
by MAD87
Can't argue with you. A great footballer and, as you say, a real gentleman. So sad that he spent his last years with dementia.

Sir Bobby RIP

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:19 pm
by niemeyjt
I must admit when I see the current bunch of over-paid (mostly) prima-donnas with the star he earned on their chest I wonder what must have gone through his mind.

Sir Bobby RIP

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:41 pm
by Blaze
Who doesn't remember him and how he inspired so many young fellas to take up the game.
Can't help but agree with you, J.

Sir Bobby RIP

Posted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:15 pm
by Wilbro
Yes what a player. In the day's when football was truly a man's game he could set the place alight with his shooting. One of two brother's who were head and shoulders above the prancing fairies that play today.
RIP Sir Bob.

Sir Bobby RIP

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 7:28 am
by Chappers51
A brilliant player and a gentleman on and off the pitch.

Sir Bobby RIP

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:02 am
by hughnique
I saw a brief glimpse of a picture of him whilst the football focus was playing away in the background, and I thought blimey he has been dead a few years, little realising he had just passed.

Sir Bobby RIP

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 9:10 am
by niemeyjt
His brother Jack died a few years ago.

Sir Bobby RIP

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 10:51 am
by Wilbro
World cup '66 and watching England play France in a Paris bar. Three of us with a gang of French lads and I'm sure there was a shiver went through the bar if Charlton got within shooting range.
2-0 England so the French lads hammered us at table football to get revenge.

Sir Bobby RIP

Posted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:19 pm
by glazedallover
Great player . Saw him a few times at Selhurst Park. Unbelievably I missed the 1966 World Cup Final cos I was camping in Epping Forest with the Woodcraft Folk .