Are any of you watching the olympics

Spardo

Re: Are any of you watching the olympics

#11 Post by Spardo »

Well at least you can rejoice in the fact that petanque hasn't been considered seriously, Blaze. ;) :lol:

mysty

#12 Post by mysty »

Blaze wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 10:34 pm
mysty wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 9:25 pm The Frenchman that won gold yesterday (eppe) or I think foil in English was good to watch.
It's epée in English too - foil is fleuret in French (I used to be a fencer many many years ago .....)
The French fella was an extra in the team in case anyone fell out !
I had to use google to get what it was called and it looked French to me :lol:
He was much quicker and more nimble on his feet than the taller fencers.

Pathca

#13 Post by Pathca »

I can ‘see’ skateboarding more than I can surfing! To be honest I enjoy the Paralympics and the Winter Olympics more than the summer one I really cannot see the point of football when there are two world cups and continental competitions

Char
Site Admin

#14 Post by Char »

Hotrodder wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:57 am I hate fencing. Getting the poles perfectly aligned is really difficult.
You made me choke on my tea. :lol:

Loup-garou

#15 Post by Loup-garou »

Did I not read/hear that pétanque will be included in the Paris Olympics? Maybe I dreamt it or did subconscious associations.

As for skateboarding things, I think it was on the second day that there were competitors aged 28 and plus - they were competing in a concrete park type thing. I couldn't help thinking "Grow up boys". At the bottom of the screen it had "Style". A French fella had "Regular" next to it but almost all of the others had "Goofy". I know ................. bah humbug!

Much as I admire the GB winner of the 200 breaststroke I got sick of seeing the reaction of his family repeatedly - even on the 9 pm news. The BBC highlights programme had a 15 minute interview with 5 of his family then went onto discuss future events. For me "Highlights" is specific and is not chatting. It's as bad as Beth Tweddle discussing equestrian dressage!

OK who pressed my Mr Angry button .................................... an-d-d-d-d Chill.

Doug

#16 Post by Doug »

[mention]Loup-garou[/mention]
Totally agree, they just went on and on but thats the bbc these days, rubbish.
Only watch the Ol o8n them when a brit is competing I want to see.
Thinks, :o well that worked for me.

Spardo

#17 Post by Spardo »

It is on my tv at the moment, while I am doing other things, with the sound muted. If something worth watching catches my eye, like the Japanese gymnast a while back winning the high bar, breathtaking, I will pause to enjoy. No need to put up with all the nonsense. :)

Veem

#18 Post by Veem »

I'm really irritated by the amount of time the BBC is giving to the woman in a studio (not Clare Balding - the other one - a Scot?) chatting with the likes of Beth Tweddle and Rebecca Adlington about sports they clearly know nothing about. To listen to Beth trying to sound as though she knows a bit about Dressage is ridiculous. They may as well ask Charlotte Dujardin to comment on the gymnastics now she's finished her equine events. And I'm also very fed up with them saying that such and such will be on at such and such a time and it just isn't. Or it's been switched to BBC2. I normally enjoy watching but the coverage is a shambles.

Pathca

#19 Post by Pathca »

One thing that is good about these games is the departure of Simone Biles has lead to a discussion of mental health issues in premier athletes
I know some have said it was bad on her part to drop out,but apparently she lost what she was doing in her vault routine and it was only her skill that then saved her from serious injuries

demi

#20 Post by demi »

Apparently the BBC has very limited rights to what it can show of the Olympics. Discovery (an American pay per view channel) snapped up the rights in 2016.

This means that the BBC can only air one live event on one of its channels and one live event on the red button at any one time, as well as edited highlights.

Not excusing the dire highlights presentation however.