Are any of you watching the olympics

Spardo

Re: Are any of you watching the olympics

#21 Post by Spardo »

demi wrote: Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:52 am Apparently the BBC has very limited rights to what it can show of the Olympics. Discovery (an American pay per view channel) snapped up the rights in 2016.

This means that the BBC can only air one live event on one of its channels and one live event on the red button at any one time, as well as edited highlights.

Not excusing the dire highlights presentation however.
Yes, I was surprised to hear that too, Demi, on Channel 4 news. Only convinces me more of the overwhelming monetisation of the Olympics, which I defined and decried, when the spirit of amateurism was abolished a long time ago.

Doug

#22 Post by Doug »

[mention]demi[/mention]
Yes I thought that it was something like that.
This morning on bbc they said that in half an hour they would be live to womans canoeing in the mean time they will show it from the last olympics, on turning over to F3 it was just starting live.

Blaze

#23 Post by Blaze »

[mention]Pathca[/mention] Athletes must work under huge mental - and physical - pressure, the toll for being a high performance athlete and that nagging impulsion to be the best. If an athlete like Simone Biles felt she's lost it for any reason, it would affect any subsequent performance, so small wonder she decided to withdraw. It's unlikely that anyone picked for the Olympics is going to bow out on a whim.

Doug

Olympics

#24 Post by Doug »

Obviously no one here has watched the olympics unless I've missed posts.
What a final day for France, first watched them get gold in handball now they have won the volley ball in five sets over the Russians after a nail biting very close match.
Sorry put it down to my age, its in chatterbox
Another battle now going on with the French women against ROC in handball final.
Last edited by Doug on Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doug

#25 Post by Doug »

What a final match.
French women won 30 to 25.
Another gold for France.

Blaze

#26 Post by Blaze »

Britain has done very well in the Olympics and moved up to 4th place in the medal table. It's good news that they've overtaken ROC and, even better, that the US has overtaken China !
I'm not sure if these are the final rankings ...
Capture d’écran 2021-08-08 à 09.35.36.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Liz

#27 Post by Liz »

We have loved the various sports and the BBC coverage has been excellent.
I can't comment on French TV as that system packed up a few years ago and we have never bothered to fix it as we can watch French news online and sport in the café across the road (normally, with no Covid :roll: )
How do people live without at least one dog in the house?

Doug

#28 Post by Doug »

Matter of opinion liz but I'll take you to task on bbc coverage.
French was much better, not being able to see it was a great loss.
Its true each country covers their athletes most so when France 2,3,4 was reshowing we switched over to bbc or eurosport1 germany which is fta.
But then I'm a sat. freak, have been ever since it started.