Beijing Olympics - Kamila Valieva

Sparkle

#1 Post by Sparkle »

Anyone watching Kamila Valieva figure skating? I've found her skating mesmerising it's such a shame about the doping business. For me she's the best female skater since Jayne Torvill came onto the scene. I'm really enjoying all the Winter Olympics.
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Veem

#2 Post by Veem »

Kamila's skating was so fluid, artistic and skilled that she overshadowed all the others. It must have been very tough for her and the relieved outpouring of emotion at the end was moving. How someone of only 15 can achieve her level of performance is beyond me.
It will be interesting to see what revelations are announced soon. Surely the team and ladies' figure skating can't just go unacknowledged by the medals being awarded at some point?

Blaze

#3 Post by Blaze »

It's always difficult to know exactly what's going on with regard to doping and so sad that she has been caught up in it all. She's only 15 and it's unlikely she knew what she was taking, there must have been an adult, trainer, parent who was involved. She's a beautiful skater, so much talent and hard work, amazing for one so young.

The French pair, Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron are brilliant, so perfectly in tune ...

L Austin France

#4 Post by L Austin France »

Sparkle wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:25 pm Anyone watching Kamila Valieva figure skating? I've found her skating mesmerising it's such a shame about the doping business. For me she's the best female skater since Jayne Torvill came onto the scene. I'm really enjoying all the Winter Olympics.
I'm not that bothered about the Dancing on Ice but am thoroughly enjoying the Boules on Ice AKA Curling. :)

niemeyjt

#5 Post by niemeyjt »

Blaze wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:38 pmIt's always difficult to know exactly what's going on with regard to doping and so sad that she has been caught up in it all. She's only 15 and it's unlikely she knew what she was taking, there must have been an adult, trainer, parent who was involved. She's a beautiful skater, so much talent and hard work, amazing for one so young.

The French pair, Gabriella Papadakis and Guillaume Cizeron are brilliant, so perfectly in tune ...
Well, she claims she accidentally popped a few of her grandfather's heart meds. An easy mistake to make - I am sure we all took medicines prescribed for our parents and grandparents - even those of us participating in elite sports who know we have to be careful as to what we ingest.

Compared to Alan Baxter, who got a ban for taking the wrong tube of Vicks Sinex, I have to question the decision - however good she is.

Headers

#6 Post by Headers »

I find it utterly disgusting that there are adults pushing her to take these heart meds whether they be banned or not at the age of 15 to enhance her performance. They aren’t interested in her welfare. Lord knows what will happen to her body in years to come as a result of this.
I’m really not sure that juniors should be taking part in the olympics however good they appear to be.

Blaze

#7 Post by Blaze »

Headers wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:02 pm I’m really not sure that juniors should be taking part in the olympics however good they appear to be.
I agree with that, Headers. It puts too much pressure on young bodies and minds because the Olympics is every sportsman's dream. They're still children, however good they are and should be allowed a bit of space - adolescence can be a tricky time.

Wilbro

#8 Post by Wilbro »

Whatever one feels for the youngster the competition is flawed and has ruined it for the other competitors. She should not have been allowed to compete especially as the meds she took can enhanvce performance.

exile

#9 Post by exile »

I have to agree Wilbro. Saying that to disqualify her will cause major psychological damage misses the psychological damage done to every other competitor having to skate against her. Incidentally only one of the meds found in her sample is banned but one is one too many.

Pathca

#10 Post by Pathca »

Totally agree with both of you