Snake menace

Creating and maintaining gardens in France, French plants, ponds, gardening tools and machinery, etc
Blaze

Snake menace

#11 Post by Blaze »

Char wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:54 pm I never have understood the French attitude to wildlife
I agree, Char, and I'm astonished at the ignorance of those who live in rural areas. They don't know the difference between a sparrow and a blue tit, and couldn't distinguish a pink campion from a ragged robin.
As for their attitude to snakes .... :cry:
I'm sorry to read about your hedgehog but you have to think of the creature and end its suffering. I've seen hedgehog poo in our garden, but not the beastie himself. We always keep various piles of logs, stones and greenery over the winter for anyone who wants to hibernate.

Hotrodder

Snake menace

#12 Post by Hotrodder »

OH just saw some sort of rodent scurry across in front of the fireplace.
Ho hum. :roll:
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

ajm

Snake menace

#13 Post by ajm »

I thought the title of the thread referred to Bojo :D

Pathca

Snake menace

#14 Post by Pathca »

Oh please

Blaze

Snake menace

#15 Post by Blaze »

Comment deleted by Blaze
Last edited by Blaze on Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bayleaf

Snake menace

#16 Post by Bayleaf »

Just standing in the field across from our entrance - while giving extra grazing to a horse, I noticed a cat loaping along the road, happy as you like. "That's not one of our cats", I thought, so tried to get a better look. It wasn't even a cat! I think it was one of these :lol:
Stone Martin.jpg
It was so chilled out, you could almost hear it whistling to itself! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Char
Site Admin

Snake menace

#17 Post by Char »

Bayleaf wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:37 am Just standing in the field across from our entrance - while giving extra grazing to a horse, I noticed a cat loaping along the road, happy as you like. "That's not one of our cats", I thought, so tried to get a better look. It wasn't even a cat! I think it was one of these :lol:
Stone Martin.jpg
Lucky you. :D

Char
Site Admin

Snake menace

#18 Post by Char »

niemeyjt wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:08 am
Char wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:54 pm I never have understood the French attitude to wildlife, I can see that you wouldn't want to step on an adder, but I've seen people nearly have heart attacks at the sight of a slow worm.
I'm trying to nurse a hedgehog at the moment which has probably been poisoned by our neighbour, I think it's a lost cause though and I'll have to put it out of it's misery. I just don't understand why people need to kill other creatures, so unnecessary and sad. Might seem like double standards there but I can't leave the poor thing to suffer and die painfully.
How's the hedgehog?
It's not where I left it yesterday, it's eaten the cat food I left for it and toddled off, so hopefully it's OK.

Blaze

Snake menace

#19 Post by Blaze »

That's good news, Char. Hedgehogs love cat food, full of protein, and ideal for a hedgehog that's not well.

Spectrum

Snake menace

#20 Post by Spectrum »

Bayleaf wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:37 am Just standing in the field across from our entrance - while giving extra grazing to a horse, I noticed a cat loaping along the road, happy as you like. "That's not one of our cats", I thought, so tried to get a better look. It wasn't even a cat! I think it was one of these :lol:
Stone Martin.jpg
Could be a Beech Marten, :? :?: with the white bib, if the bib was smaller than the one in the pic and a yellowish/orange colour then it could be a Pine Marten.