Silk tree

Creating and maintaining gardens in France, French plants, ponds, gardening tools and machinery, etc
L Austin France

Silk tree

#21 Post by L Austin France »

Our tree this morning
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Oldblueraincoat

Silk tree

#22 Post by Oldblueraincoat »

Not a silk tree but our Mirabelle has taken a right old bashing in the recent storms - the abundant fruit weighs heavily on the boughs so much that some are touching the ground. It suffered more over the weekend when one of the thicker main branches cracked under the weight. I've trimmed it back as best l can but there are hundreds of mirabelle still attached to it and we are forlornly hoping they will still reach fruition :?
IMG_2545-01.jpeg
IMG_2657-01.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Veem

Silk tree

#23 Post by Veem »

We have flowers on both trees! Not just one or two, but loads. I've hardly been out for a couple of days, so I must have missed the first few opening up. The leaves have all closed up for the night so the flowers are even more noticeable.

Nomoss

Silk tree

#24 Post by Nomoss »

When we moved into this house in 2012 the small Albizia had been badly damaged by low branches from several pine trees hitting it in windy weather (of which we get a lot).
A branch near the top had broken and split the trunk, so I cut it off a metre or so from the ground.
We cut down the pine trees soon after this, as their needles had poisoned the ground below, and nothing would grow there, and they were full of processionary caterpillar nests which no-one around here seems bothered about.
The Albizia looked pretty awful for a while, and I thought of replacing it, but it eventually grew back into a pleasing shape and I hadn't the heart to remove it.
Pic taken today, 11 years later
IMG_3520.JPG

Veem

Silk tree

#25 Post by Veem »

Gosh, it has done well even if it didn't manage to grow back to its normal umbrella shape. I rather like the way it has flowers so close to the ground. What are those spectacluar shrubs covered in pink and white flowers?

Nomoss

Silk tree

#26 Post by Nomoss »

Veem wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:08 am Gosh, it has done well even if it didn't manage to grow back to its normal umbrella shape. I rather like the way it has flowers so close to the ground. What are those spectacluar shrubs covered in pink and white flowers?
Yes, I was surprised it survived, and we like the asymmetrical "Japanese" shape.
The bushes are oleanders, laurier rose to the French. Those two are in the driest part of our very parched garden, at the top of a steep slope.
They were overgrown with other plants and weeds when we moved here in 2012. I cleared around them but never trimmed them as doing so makes them bolt.
There are two near the house which are rampant and are cut to the ground periodically. This is one in 2019, which was cut down completely in 2012 or 13.
IMG_2217.JPG

ajm

Silk tree

#27 Post by ajm »

Ours has just started to flower