Weedkillers

Creating and maintaining gardens in France, French plants, ponds, gardening tools and machinery, etc
Quiksilver

Weedkillers

#41 Post by Quiksilver »

Leyla wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:09 am
Quiksilver wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:43 pm Read the small (tiny) print, @ajm. The active ingredient is no longer glyphosate. It's been mostly replaced by acide pélargonique....utterly ineffective! Farmers do still have the right to use Glypho. If you have farming friends, @Leyla, they'd probably let you have some in the interests of keeping the edges of your land clean :D
I'm actually in a small hamlet. As a matter of interest though - what exactly do farmers use Glypho for? I don't see "burnt" edges around fields, or brown fields before it's dug up.
They use it to control perennial weeds like bindweed, field thistle and mare's tail, although the advice they're given by the agri-salespeople ensures that they don't allow enough time for the deep roots to be killed off before cultivating. Surprise! They need to use it every year....
Despite the hysteria over it's use, though, it is still the only effective way to permanently eradicate perennial weeds. What I don't understand is how it came to be regarded as a suitable product for treating gravel drives and other hard surfaces infested with annual weeds. The pre-emergent weedkillers like 'Pathclear' contained a chemical that prevented germination of weed seeds, which is much more effective. Sadly, withdrawn from sale some time ago.

Bayleaf

Weedkillers

#42 Post by Bayleaf »

Talking of a chemical that prevents the germination of weed seeds, when we had the Pépinière, and before the days of caring what we chucked around and what secondly damage it did, we used bags of tiny granules. It would be scattered around a weed-free area, including newly potted young plants. The idea was that these granules formed a "haze" over the area it was scattered, and any new seeds falling wouldn't germinate. But doesn't kill existing plants or roots. Very expensive, and big red crosses and skulls on the bags. Still got some in the Cave if anyone wants it - 'cos I'm not sure how we'd dispose of it these days.

I'll try and get a photo later, so we can see how much poison it contains! :lol: :mrgreen:

niemeyjt

Weedkillers

#43 Post by niemeyjt »

Sodium chlorate maybe?

Bindweed - put on a pair of latex gloves then a pair of cotton gloves over them (anyone wonder where this one is going?)

Then make up a mix of SBK, rather than Roundup, and soak the gloves in it and starting at the base pull your hand up the stem treating every leaf and stem part with the weedkiller. Not only does it apply better, but also as the bindweed is usually with wanted plants it avoids drift.

Hotrodder

Weedkillers

#44 Post by Hotrodder »

Sodium chlorate.
I miss you, old friend. :cry:
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Leyla

Weedkillers

#45 Post by Leyla »

Quiksilver wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:40 pm The pre-emergent weedkillers like 'Pathclear' contained a chemical that prevented germination of weed seeds, which is much more effective. Sadly, withdrawn from sale some time ago.
Ah yes - I remember Pathclear. I've just looked at Amazon UK and it's available, made by Weedol but only available in the UK. Seems to be about 90% Glypho.

Quiksilver

Weedkillers

#46 Post by Quiksilver »

I doubt it's the original formula, Leyla. A lot of products have kept the original name but don't contain the original active ingredient...witness RoundUp! Having had a look at the UK sites mentioned in this thread, it's sure that UK gardeners still have access to a range of products that only French farmers can use here.

Leyla

Weedkillers

#47 Post by Leyla »

I've just come across this on a Facebook Gardeners page..........

https://www.service-public.fr/particuli ... 00&lang=en

Bayleaf

Weedkillers

#48 Post by Bayleaf »

A ban on plant protection products? Sounds like a mis-translate!

niemeyjt

Weedkillers

#49 Post by niemeyjt »

Sounds like they have done away with insecticides and fungicides - except organic ones and against serious pests.

Whilst I can understand neonicotinoids being banned as bad for bees, I wonder whether banning things like Bordeaux mix is a good move. Of course, farmers can still use them.

I guess it is another law that will be ignored.

MAD87

Weedkillers

#50 Post by MAD87 »

niemeyjt wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:31 pm
Whilst I can understand neonicotinoids being banned as bad for bees, I wonder whether banning things like Bordeaux mix is a good move.
Funnly enuff, I found an auternative to Bordeaux mix a few weeks ago and have a litre bottle ready to go if needed. 1 teaspoon of bicarb de soudre and 1 of savon noir, topped up with water.