Weedkillers

Creating and maintaining gardens in France, French plants, ponds, gardening tools and machinery, etc
MAD87

Weedkillers

#11 Post by MAD87 »

Here's a video - mine is a Fiskars W52 model (4-dents). Very east to used - except when the ground is like concrete! - and a quick flick on the handle ejects the weed. They're available in most DIY/garden chains and Amazon, ManaMano, etc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwdTe9WQnMk

hughnique

Weedkillers

#12 Post by hughnique »

The vinegar ,salt WUL combination is very good but it doesn't seem to kill the roots and they come back at the drop of a hat. Like a lot of things in France Glyso is banned but you can still get it. As said these other available weedkillers are totally useless, and they cost a fortune.

niemeyjt

Weedkillers

#13 Post by niemeyjt »

I have chips on the drive - and vinegar and salt work well.

Yonner

Weedkillers

#14 Post by Yonner »

We use salt, on the drive, and it seems effective, but this is the first year, so we'll see.
I'd be interested to know whether those who use vinegar do so on limestone chips? Ours is a limestone based area, and the quarries sell calcaire chippings, if you put vinegar on that I think the "fizz" would be deafening wouldn't it?

ajm

Weedkillers

#15 Post by ajm »

Roundup is still in our supermarket - - at a price.

Quiksilver

Weedkillers

#16 Post by Quiksilver »

Read the small (tiny) print, @ajm. The active ingredient is no longer glyphosate. It's been mostly replaced by acide pélargonique....utterly ineffective! Farmers do still have the right to use Glypho. If you have farming friends, @Leyla, they'd probably let you have some in the interests of keeping the edges of your land clean :D

manonthemoon2

Weedkillers

#17 Post by manonthemoon2 »

The weedkiller Roundup we bought this year is useless, doesn't work.

The gas burner we bought only initially burns but doesn't last long.

We've tried white vinegar with salt, didn't work.

Bleach, didn't work.

I'm stumped. We was thinking of using a pool product, hypercal as it says on the side dangerous to plants. We would not use it and let the animals out, but interested to see if this works

niemeyjt

Weedkillers

#18 Post by niemeyjt »

manonthemoon2 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:14 pmI'm stumped. We was thinking of using a pool product, hypercal as it says on the side dangerous to plants. We would not use it and let the animals out, but interested to see if this works
Officially - anything not approved for the particular use isn't allowed - ditto rhubarb leaf insecticide as I understand.

However, the Glyphosate ban is currently a France issue, not an EU issue - you may find other European outlets such as https://desherbants.com/.

The last lot I bought (for someone else) was actually made here in Lausanne.

exile

Weedkillers

#19 Post by exile »

niemeyjt wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:26 pm
manonthemoon2 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:14 pmI'm stumped. We was thinking of using a pool product, hypercal as it says on the side dangerous to plants. We would not use it and let the animals out, but interested to see if this works
Officially - anything not approved for the particular use isn't allowed - ditto rhubarb leaf insecticide as I understand.
And that of course includes salt and vinegar - sends your weeds to a crisp.

Plus of course washing up liquid.

exile

Weedkillers

#20 Post by exile »

MOTM2
what are the weeds coming up in your drive?

There may be some more specific solutions - although I am surprised that salt and vinegar has not done the job.