Weedkillers

Creating and maintaining gardens in France, French plants, ponds, gardening tools and machinery, etc
Leyla

Weedkillers

#31 Post by Leyla »

ajm wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:43 pm Roundup is still in our supermarket - - at a price.
Yes it is but there are lots of different varieties of Roundups. I'm presently using the replacement Roundup but it's €50 for 3 lots of my sprayer - just too expensive when it doesn't kill the roots.

Leyla

Weedkillers

#32 Post by Leyla »

Quiksilver wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 8:43 pm Read the small (tiny) print, @ajm. The active ingredient is no longer glyphosate. It's been mostly replaced by acide pélargonique....utterly ineffective! Farmers do still have the right to use Glypho. If you have farming friends, @Leyla, they'd probably let you have some in the interests of keeping the edges of your land clean :D
I'm actually in a small hamlet. As a matter of interest though - what exactly do farmers use Glypho for? I don't see "burnt" edges around fields, or brown fields before it's dug up.

Leyla

Weedkillers

#33 Post by Leyla »

niemeyjt wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:26 pm However, the Glyphosate ban is currently a France issue, not an EU issue - you may find other European outlets such as https://desherbants.com/.
I've had a quick look and there may be some possibilities but where is the word "systemic"? I can't read each one individually! Otherwise, I'm just wasting my time and money.

Sparkle

Weedkillers

#34 Post by Sparkle »

exile wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 1:45 pm Yes that is an excellent mix but probably of limited use on the lawn :D

You do need to be a little bit careful of salt run off if you do regular applications but I would have suggested something very similar for a drive.
we don't use weed killer on our lawn - we have very few for some reason possibly down to scarifying etc but we have to keep the gravel drive in check cos we are one of those 'ville fleurie' and as the drive is seen and entered from one of the main roads thro our little village we have to keep it looking a little respectable especially as the commune gardeners arrive every week to plant/replant/tidy/mow etc around the churchyard and the Place de Marie and the daily watering truck arrives to water everything with water from the local lake. Sorry I've wandered a bit - as usual :roll:
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Bayleaf

Weedkillers

#35 Post by Bayleaf »

exile wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:47 am @hughnique
Gallup is a glyphosate based herbicide. As such you should be very careful with its use.
I know the comment above about farmers spreading it willy-nilly while we are prohibited but they should be kitted out for chemical warfare in a way that the home gardener is not. I also know that many farmers are not so kitted out. More fool them.
And I thought it was being commercially banned, as in not even being produced/available anymore?

hughnique

Weedkillers

#36 Post by hughnique »

I don't know if there is a correlation here but pre brexshit, I was buying from NI and it was around the £30 a 5 litre plastic can, got a bit cheaper if you bought in multiples of 4, which I did. Post Brexshit it is now some £70 a 5 litre container, so pricing itself out of the market and the company I dealt with wont supply here anymore, however I did receive an e mail the other day from Agrigem UK saying they still ship internationally. I believe this is one of those scenarios where it is not the buying and selling that is banned / unlawful, but the actual usage of it, and again harping back to the farmers they must surely be the biggest culprits when it comes to heavy pollution, not the likes of us with our hand sprayers. Sure I would prefer not to use it but try getting a "gardener" around here, "hens teeth" comes to mind.

niemeyjt

Weedkillers

#37 Post by niemeyjt »

Leyla wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:13 amI've had a quick look and there may be some possibilities but where is the word "systemic"? I can't read each one individually! Otherwise, I'm just wasting my time and money.
Look for "360" in the name - that is the concentration neat Glyphosate is sold in.

Leyla

Weedkillers

#38 Post by Leyla »

Look for "360" in the name - that is the concentration neat Glyphosate is sold in.
That's helpful - thanks.

I've looked at "Catamaran BCP 360 1L herbicide Glyphosate 36% no sélectif" at the bottom of the first page which seems to be 36% Glypho. Is this correct?

Could someone please help me with the dilution? I have a 5L sprayer.........

Dosage et mode d’emploi

Dans les canaux d’irrigation, les bordures et les prairies, appliquer à une dose de 3-10 L/ha.
Dans les cultures arables extensives et intensives, appliquer à la dose de 1,5-6 L/ha pour contrôler les mauvaises herbes annuelles.
Dans les cultures ligneuses, appliquer à la dose de 3-6 L/ha pour contrôler les mauvaises herbes annuelles, et à la dose de 6-10 L/ha pour contrôler les mauvaises herbes vivaces.En canales de riego, linderos y praderas, aplicar a la dosis de 3-10 L/ha.

Composition : Glyphosate 36%.

niemeyjt

Weedkillers

#39 Post by niemeyjt »

36% - actually 360g glyphosate per litre - but yes, looks correct.

Dilution is 2.5% - so 25ml weedkiller per litre - 125ml in 5l sprayer.

Forget their dosing - that is for a tractor sprayer that just sprays everywhere including the soil - which is where the contamination comes. Just spray the leaves of the weeds you want to kill and avoid any drift - don't spray on a windy day.

Leyla

Weedkillers

#40 Post by Leyla »

niemeyjt wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:32 pm 36% - actually 360g glyphosate per litre - but yes, looks correct.

Dilution is 2.5% - so 25ml weedkiller per litre - 125ml in 5l sprayer.

Forget their dosing - that is for a tractor sprayer that just sprays everywhere including the soil - which is where the contamination comes. Just spray the leaves of the weeds you want to kill and avoid any drift - don't spray on a windy day.
Makes sense - thanks miemeyjt