The power of bamboo

Creating and maintaining gardens in France, French plants, ponds, gardening tools and machinery, etc
RobertArthur

The power of bamboo

#1 Post by RobertArthur »

Not so sweet memories of a surprise 15 years ago. After building a nice Alcatraz for them, the bamboo escaped underground....Roots as hard as concrete in search of new terrain and fresh water supplies. To the déchetterie tomorrow.

Blaze

The power of bamboo

#2 Post by Blaze »

When we moved here, the previous owners had planted bamboo, the fast growing type. It had spread into part of the lawn. We got someone in with a digger who removed all the ones in the grass and left some along a wall at the edge of our property. He put in a membrane over 50cm deep which successfully contained them. However, after about 4 years they were looking decidedly sickly so we decided we'd get rid of the lot. This time we got in a man with a mini pelle (much cheaper) and he dug them up. No wonder they were looking pathetic - the poor things had suffocated because they hadn't been able to spread. Even small roots are rock hard, and razor sharp. If you leave the slightest piece of bamboo under the ground, it will grow and spread. I kept finding little bits as I dug, or found a bit that had started shooting. We've finally got rid of it all. Never again, at least, not that type.

Loup-garou

The power of bamboo

#3 Post by Loup-garou »

Blaze wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:16 pm
Never again, at least, not that type.
Spot on Blaze,
There are different types of bamboo some are quite difficult to encourage to spread. Without looking up the technical terms and specs. some have different rhizomes and are well behaved. I have some in the gardens with unrestrained roots (in particular bamboo niger) which is impeccable.

Conversely, like Robert, I have had others in huge pots which have had to be smashed to extricate the roots. :(

Blaze

The power of bamboo

#4 Post by Blaze »

I found it was possible to kill bamboo : neat glyphosate painted on a freshly cut stem ensured it didn't survive. But there was far too much, hence the use of a digger. However, it was useful for the odd shoot that came up from bits of root left under the ground. Before anyone says anything about glyphosate, it was some years ago and not a product I have ever favoured.

ajm

The power of bamboo

#5 Post by ajm »

Blaze wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 10:08 am I found it was possible to kill bamboo : neat glyphosate painted on a freshly cut stem ensured it didn't survive. But there was far too much, hence the use of a digger. However, it was useful for the odd shoot that came up from bits of root left under the ground. Before anyone says anything about glyphosate, it was some years ago and not a product I have ever favoured.
Been there.

Loup-garou

The power of bamboo

#6 Post by Loup-garou »

Glyphosate! Don't you take that daily to keep your joints working? :)

Blaze

The power of bamboo

#7 Post by Blaze »

Loup-garou wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:41 am Glyphosate! Don't you take that daily to keep your joints working? :)
:lol: :lol:

ajm

The power of bamboo

#8 Post by ajm »

Loup-garou wrote:Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:41 am Glyphosate! Don't you take that daily to keep your joints working? :)
You wouldn't have joint problems for long if you did take it :D

Quiksilver

The power of bamboo

#9 Post by Quiksilver »

The tenants in our old UK house planted a bamboo near the pond. It pierced the thick butyl liner in 9 places, sending it's points straight through a product guaranteed for 50 years :shock: The last remaining bit of Phyllostachys nigra in this garden will probably be evicted this year as I don't fancy an ongoing battle to keep it within bounds that, ultimately, the bamboo will win :D

L Austin France

The power of bamboo

#10 Post by L Austin France »

We planted a bamboo hedge to shade our stable & on the advice of the garden centre folk it was planted in a trench lined with a 50cm deep 'anti bamboo' sheet product fitted to leave about 10cm above original ground level with a 10cm trench later dug around the sheet .
Any roots that try to escape are easy seen & cut off & so far, after about 12 years, the only real problem has been the shoots that try to escape via the sheets inevitable overlap & those we miss due to our lack of diligence. :)
It does a great job shading the crinkly tin building which always feels cool compared to the outside & is a haven for the nags this weather.