And the weeds shall inherit the earth

Creating and maintaining gardens in France, French plants, ponds, gardening tools and machinery, etc
Blaze

#11 Post by Blaze »

Veem wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:01 pm We have loads of stinky Herb Robert this year
Yes, we have too, in the grass. We also have Creeping Cinquefoil which is a real nuisance, it gets into everything.

Lori

#12 Post by Lori »

You all are amazing. We have tons of horrible weeds, but I have no idea what their proper names are. One in particular has thick roots and is a pain in the a** to pull and will take over anything it comes near (like most weeds, but the others tend to be easier to pull).

I've put together a mixture of salt, white vinegar, water and dish soap to spray on the driveway to kill the incoming weeds. It works pretty well so far. However, I'll reserve judgement until a good rain comes and I see how quickly they pop up again.

Blaze

#13 Post by Blaze »

@Lori We have a large old stone terrace which the ants nest under every year, making it more and more uneven as they shove the sand to the surface. The weeds come up through the cracks but a good squirt of white vinegar kills them off within hours. It seems to stop them growing back and I squirt weeds as I see them, from time to time.
Last edited by Blaze on Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lori

#14 Post by Lori »

Blaze wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:24 am @Lori We have a large old stone terrace which the ants nest under every year, making it more and more uneven as they shove the sane to the surface. The weeds come up through the cracks but a good squirt of white vinegar kills them off within hours. It seems to stop them growing back and I squirt weeds as I see them, from time to time.
Good to know. So you don't mix the white vinegar with anything else? No salt, dish soap or dilution with a 1/4 part of water? We have a rock driveway and it is nearly 60m2 long (I presume because the original owners didn't want to pay the price for asphalt or concrete (we've gotten the devis and it was a shocker) and weeds grow through the rocks. Pulling them would drive anyone mad, so I've begun spraying my mixture on them. Had to buy a sprayer and a lot of salt and vinegar. Haven't finished spraying the entire driveway as I wanted to see how well the portion I did spray worked.

We also have ants that nest under a tiled deck. Not sure what to do to stop that. I use ant spray on the perimeter of the house to try to stop them coming inside. We have a LOT of bugs here. :shock:

Blaze

#15 Post by Blaze »

@Lori We're on sandy soil so loads of ants every year. I put ant powder around doorways and down any holes in the terrace that are near the house. It seems to work reasonably well but some will still get through. It's particularly annoying upstairs !!
I use a 14% white vinegar which I buy in 5 litre bottles and transfer to a hand sprayer. I don't dilute it or mix it with anything else and I wouldn't bother with the weaker stuff though it may well work.

Lori

#16 Post by Lori »

Thanks Blaze.

We've had success with the 10% white vinegar here. I'm going to try some 8% that I just bought to see how it works. Good to know you don't have to mix it with anything for success.

L Austin France

#17 Post by L Austin France »

Lori wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:47 am ou all are amazing. We have tons of horrible weeds, but I have no idea what their proper names are.
We also haven't a clue what they're individually called .
Here they're just called ' bloody weeds'. :)

Lori

#18 Post by Lori »

[/quote]
We also haven't a clue what they're individually called .
Here they're just called ' bloody weeds'. :)
[/quote]

Here too !! I've just come in from 2 hours of pulling weeds around the berries, mint and tomato plants. Also along the tiled walkway down to the back garden. Poured a bottle white vinegar on the tiled stairs. I'll see if it works.. I'll certainly have a 'farmer's tan' after a few days of this.

Polarengineer

#19 Post by Polarengineer »

Generally, weeds are ANY plant that self propogates where you don't want it.
Some weeds are very useful eg, mint, dill, nasturtium, borage, garlic, marigolds, wild thyme, amarante, possibly strawberries and rasberries and lots more.