Scalping device for strimmer

Creating and maintaining gardens in France, French plants, ponds, gardening tools and machinery, etc
L Austin France

#21 Post by L Austin France »

L Austin France wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:51 pm
Bayleaf wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:37 pm Wassat that then?
Give it a while & I'll tell yer.
OK. It's a Scythe Field Anvil used with a hammer to dress the blade. It's designed to be stuck in the ground or a log. I found this one in our old longere along with a rather swish :) modernish metal handled scythe.
Here's one I found online. https://www.oldtoolmart.co.uk/onlinesho ... anvil.html

Bayleaf

#22 Post by Bayleaf »

I did think it could only be connected with sharpening, but doesn't look very practical! We have various sharpening methods, including the natural sharpening stone which apparently works well enough. If I do decide to buy a full size scythe (and the obligatory black cloak, hehehe .....), I'll probably use that.

L Austin France

#23 Post by L Austin France »

Bayleaf wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:07 am I did think it could only be connected with sharpening, but doesn't look very practical! We have various sharpening methods, including the natural sharpening stone which apparently works well enough. If I do decide to buy a full size scythe (and the obligatory black cloak, hehehe .....), I'll probably use that.
Designed to be used like this;
ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pih3LxPmYcY

Bayleaf

#24 Post by Bayleaf »

What a palaver! :crazy: :lol: Obviously that's the perfect thing to do, in a perfect world, but for my purposes I'll be sticking to the quick method! :mrgreen:

L Austin France

#25 Post by L Austin France »

Bayleaf wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 12:07 pm What a palaver! :crazy: :lol: Obviously that's the perfect thing to do, in a perfect world, but for my purposes I'll be sticking to the quick method! :mrgreen:
Of course & so would I. Your post reminded my of the Scythe & 'thing' hanging in my barn. Just thought that it was interesting :D

Hotrodder

#26 Post by Hotrodder »

Very interesting to see the traditional way of sharpening, and how it is used in anger. Life's too short to spend beating one with a hammer and anvil to achieve a good edge, and using it with the twisting action will destroy my back just as effectively as using a strimmer does. :?
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

glazedallover

#27 Post by glazedallover »

Very , very interesting.... :)