Garden makeover!

Creating and maintaining gardens in France, French plants, ponds, gardening tools and machinery, etc
L Austin France

Garden makeover!

#21 Post by L Austin France »

Hotrodder wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:26 pm I stopped doing that a few weeks ago. Every time I finished work and walked up the road to collect the triangle it was blown over. Either the wind or the blast from the lorries on the very edge of the tarmac. :lol:
Did a little more today between showers. Almost ready to tackle the big one.
Yonks ago I was taking the slates on an old building which bordered our road & needed to erect some scafolding on the road.
A phone call to our local mairie saw the works dept. quickly deliver triangle 'men working' signs & cones none of which they wanted back as they were 'left overs' from other contractors.
I've still got 'em & quite often loan them out to them what know that.

Quiksilver

Garden makeover!

#22 Post by Quiksilver »

Bayleaf wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 11:30 am It's nail biting stuff - so I for one am looking forward to a safe outcome! Be careful out there!! :?
+1. Not boring at all. I used to do this sort of stuff for a living :D Bonne chance!

Hotrodder

Garden makeover!

#23 Post by Hotrodder »

Finished it today. I leaned my longest ladder against the heavy branch about three feet from the point where it crossed the wire. My mini electric chainsaw made the cut at the mid point between ladder and wire. The wire went twang! and the offcut fell away just clear of the tarmac. Thankfully the rest of the branch didn't move much. I might have had to make a split second decision whether to hang on to the branch or the ladder. If I chose the ladder it could have been a rough landing. Choosing the branch might have left me dangling from it trying to flag down a passing car.

I'm guessing that the pine branch must have been growing across the wire for years but I never noticed it, it was so hidden by the laurel shoots surrounding it.

And miraculously, a passing driver stopped to ask if he could have the branches I had cut and piled up next to the road. At least I think that's what he said. Anyway I agreed he could come tomorrow morning to collect any or all of it. Most odd.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Bayleaf

Garden makeover!

#24 Post by Bayleaf »

Bon résult! Well done - and someone else to clear up the branches, if you don't want them! Nice job! :clap:

Niftyons

Garden makeover!

#25 Post by Niftyons »

Hotrodder

Garden makeover!

#26 Post by Hotrodder »

8-)
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

RobertArthur

Garden makeover!

#27 Post by RobertArthur »

A happy ending, not an unhappy landing. From the Health & Safety guys this request: Next time a parachute + video please.

Quiksilver

Garden makeover!

#28 Post by Quiksilver »

@L Austin France - carry over from the weather thread :D Purists and ecolos look away now :lol:
20240309_081819.jpg
20240309_081928.jpg
The geotextile came in rolls of 100m x 1m and I chopped it in half to make 50cm wide.
Sorry about the cock-eyed photos...they should come right when you click on them :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bayleaf

Garden makeover!

#29 Post by Bayleaf »

I've used paillage many, many times in gardens over the years. Valuable for plants to win over weeds, but be careful mowing/strimming blades don't catch it! :roll: :D

Quiksilver

Garden makeover!

#30 Post by Quiksilver »

Yep...all the borders where I used it are / have been much more successful and need less watering. Now got a source of good mulch but it's time-consuming spreading it to a useful depth, not to mention having to fetch it by the trailer load...