Emily Blunt’s ‘The English’

Headers

#1 Post by Headers »

I have been watching this BBC2 series.
Wow! It’s very Cohen brothers so you do need to be ready for some pretty full on gore and perhaps put a sand tray under the tv to catch all the blood.
The story meanders but is actually gripping. I will be watching the final part next week as I am recording the very late night repeat. If you have access to Iplayer it is all there.
It gives a very uncomfortable but probably realistic version of the Wild West in the late 1800’s

Oldblueraincoat

#2 Post by Oldblueraincoat »

Finished watching this on iplayer a few weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed it - yes it is rather gory but necessary to the plot. Emily Blunt and Chaske Spencer give great performances supported by Rafe Spall who is outstanding as the baddie. Each episode is a masterclass in filmography with the 'wild' west scenery stunning the senses.

Highly recommended as are a few other tv shows we've recently watched. If you are a Le Carre fan "A Spy Among Friends" on ITVX with Damian Lewis, Guy Pierce, Anna Maxwell-Martin and Adrian Edmonson is surprisingly good. We are into the second series of "Slow Horses" with Gary Oldman - on Apple TV - and is, in my opinion, the best thing on TV currently.

"The White Lotus" series 2 was great fun and we are looking forward to watching "Troubled Blood" on the BBC and will give "Harry and Meghan" a go to see what the real story is.

Blaze

#3 Post by Blaze »

Oldblueraincoat wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:37 am will give "Harry and Meghan" a go to see what the real story is.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Harry's ongoing mental health issues about his mother are being manipulated as a money spinner (as if they needed more dosh).
Thanks to people making money out of her, Diana will be remembered as a victim rather than for all the good things she did.

hughnique

#4 Post by hughnique »

I might have touched on this before but getting this i player, or on demand TV, have you got to have some sort of VPN to achieve that?

niemeyjt

#5 Post by niemeyjt »

Oldblueraincoat wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:37 amwill give "Harry and Meghan" a go to see what the real story is.
I am not sure "Harry and Megan" and "the real story" are compatible.

It is sad Professor Anthony Clare is not around - he would have been a better interviewer than Oprah.

Blaze

#6 Post by Blaze »

niemeyjt wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:56 pm
Oldblueraincoat wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:37 amwill give "Harry and Meghan" a go to see what the real story is.
I am not sure "Harry and Megan" and "the real story" are compatible.
I assumed OBR was being ironic, hence my :lol: !!

Headers

#7 Post by Headers »

hughnique wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:14 pm I might have touched on this before but getting this i player, or on demand TV, have you got to have some sort of VPN to achieve that?
Yes you need a VPN to watch U.K. programmes after (or before) their transmission date. I’ve only got a Humax box and satellite dish so I record what I can.

DaveW

#8 Post by DaveW »

If you can connect your Humax box to the internet you can give it a DNS address and use something like smart DNS proxy to connect to the streaming services available on the Humax box. I used to use it to watch iPlayer, I assume it still works.