Earliest Memories of Children's TV

DominicBest

Re: Earliest Memories of Children's TV

#11 Post by DominicBest »

I’m fairly sure that we remember remembering the distant past and that photos and other souvenirs can act as a key. I was once told that my childhood memories of a camping holiday to Greece in the 1960s couldn’t be trusted but parts of it are crystal clear. It’s something our family talked about regularly over the years. I’ve also got a 43 page ‘diary’ that I wrote as an English assignment soon after the next term started. I was talking about that very recently when I was in contact with a lady who rode her BSA Bantam from the U.K. to Australia in 1967, stopping off to work for a couple of years in Afghanistan on the way. She is doing a presentation about her trip at the Overland event near Oxford next week.
B77C25FA-09AE-49DF-9002-D25436937133.jpeg
A page of my diary.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hotrodder

#12 Post by Hotrodder »

Loup-garou wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:29 pm I read an article recently which suggested that people's childhood memories are as likely to be fiction as fact.

That notwithstanding, what are the early memories you have of children's TV programmes? Limited choice of channels, black and white .......... indeed, in the early days TV sets were something of a rarity and not possessed by every family.

Returning to my opening sentence, I think my memory is likely to have been influenced by the nostalgia "look back in time" type programmes. I have a good mental image of Muffin the Mule and Andy Pandy but I doubt I ever saw them when broadcast live, as it were. I am sure I watched the The Flintstones and Crackerjack but these were long running programmes so it doesn't pin point a specific time. I do remember watching and laughing at F Troop - maybe not strictly a children's programme but very suitable for kids all the same; so I guess that points me to the mid 60s.

What about you?
I don't remember any really early kids' programs but it do remember F-Troop. I went to school with the blonde Melodie Patterson who played Wrangler Jane. Also loved the Three Stooges (Boris and his close henchmen always reminds me of the Three Stooges). Lone Ranger (Jan Clayton) and Tonto (Jay Silverheels). Abbott & Costello.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Spectrum

#13 Post by Spectrum »

As said it all depends when you was born, us mid fifties, so same Tv programmes as some of you, I remember the first colour TV we had a "Sony Trinitron" what a difference, even mum and dad were impressed, apart from constipation street my mum listened to the radio more than the TV, I think the first colour program was Jackanory. As a kid I liked cooking shows, Fanny Craddock, Graham Kerr.

exile

#14 Post by exile »

Like others:
The potter
Andy Pandy
Muffin the Mule
Woodentops
Bill and Ben

and then a little later
Captain Pugwash

Pathca

#15 Post by Pathca »

Play School,Thunderbirds ,Captain Scarlet ,
I loved the Daleks and had a toy one,Mum and Dad kept trying to explain they were the baddies

niemeyjt

#16 Post by niemeyjt »

Andy Pandy and Bill and Ben for me - I must have been under five as it was in the house where I was born and we moved when I was five.

Another memory - who is "your era" Doctor Who? Mine are Patrick Troughton and Jon Pertwee - and having just moved to London being scared of the Underground after one of the scenes was set there.

Spardo

#17 Post by Spardo »

Like Doug radio is what I remember. Favourite was Dick Barton but I do remember each evening with my Grandma listening to The Archers. It was only the other day that I heard that the latter had replaced the former in that evening 15 minute slot.

Got TV later than others but also, as I spent 5 years at boarding school, where there was no such thing, the first programme I remember was a film starring Flora Robson 'Fire Over England'. By that time I wasn't interested in childrens' programmes. :)

Headers

#18 Post by Headers »

Rag,Tag and Bobtail.
The wooden-tops
Blue Peter

mysty

#19 Post by mysty »

Doctor who, John Pertweed probably spelt wrong then the guy with colourful long scarf.

elsie

#20 Post by elsie »

Does anyone remember Renfrew of the Mounties from the early 1950s? Having just researched it I've discovered they were actually just a short series of re-edited versions of feature films.
There was also Whirligig https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whirligig_(TV_series)