Graham Norton

exile

Re: Graham Norton

#21 Post by exile »

So David, out of interest who paid Terry Wogan? Children in Need? Or perhaps the BBC? I suspect the latter since they will have made all sorts of payments for the evenings entertainment - contractual royalties for all of those clips shown for example. At the end of the day the BBC get a whole evenings programs relatively on the cheap (compared with a normal nights programming) and the charity comes out with Millions.

Pathca

#22 Post by Pathca »

At the end of the day it was Terry Wogans job. I wouldn’t expect to change someone’s incontince pad or feed them their dinner for nothing

hughnique

#23 Post by hughnique »

Yes indeed, perhaps an early night might have been a better idea, but then you are entitled to your opinion as am I. If you look at anything through rose tinted specs, it all becomes a perfect world, I am not so naive as to believe that people involved in these "charitable" organisations do not need payment, equipment and all the associated needs to be funded, before anything can reach the eventual recipients. Therein lies the rub, Lenny Henry, or for that matter anyone else, swanning off to Africa, or some other grief stricken area of the world, pick up a snotty nosed kid for a photo shoot, surely you can't believe that these sorts of excursions don't need funds to make them happen, and the obvious way of obtaining those amounts of money lies within the generous donations given by the general public. A general public that, to my mind, believe that a fiver donation will get the snotty nosed child a box of kleenex, I doubt 10p eventually reaches it. Ah yes Africa, millions after millions has supposedly been pumped in to that continent by various charities over the years, and they are obviously much better off for it, you will never cure the problems by donating huge amounts of dosh, be it via charities or overseas funding from the government, until the root cause is tackled, and that is the stability of the governing body of the area in question. Dodgy and corrupt officials subtracting their "expenses" before any of it gets through to the needy. Never do I even watch Comic relief or any of the other fund raising evenings on the TV, and certainly would not donate a brass farthing to them, then that's my view on the subject, others will obviously differ. I seem to remember another high profile very successful charity fundraiser, who could do no wrong until he was dead, not that I am suggesting that the likes of Sir Lenny are in any way in the same category as him.

hughnique

#24 Post by hughnique »

Pathca wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:27 am At the end of the day it was Terry Wogans job. I wouldn’t expect to change someone’s incontince pad or feed them their dinner for nothing
Whoever paid him it all stopped when he got rumbled.

Spardo

#25 Post by Spardo »

Pathca wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:27 am At the end of the day it was Terry Wogans job. I wouldn’t expect to change someone’s incontince pad or feed them their dinner for nothing
Are you saying that Wogan was paid all that money every day, or whatever the time period was, whether he did Children in Need or not? Really? In which case, for such a worthy cause he could well afford to donate it just as thousands of others, much less wealthy, did, at his urging.

And your job, Pathca, has nothing to do with it, you get paid, not enough (in my opinion as I am doing it now for nothing and know what it entails), for doing that but are you saying that if your hospital ran some charity event you would refuse to help if you didn't get paid for it? I very much doubt it. Lots of us do things for nothing in the interests of others and we don't expect praise or money for doing so.

Pathca

#26 Post by Pathca »

I wouldn’t be asked to do what I get paid for ,for charity .Wogan was ,he wasbasically doing his job paid by the BBC not Children in Need itself
I have done unpaid voluntary work for charities and statutory organisations for nearly 40 years I have actually won an award for it so I do know what it’s like

Captain Morgan

#27 Post by Captain Morgan »

Looked at the opening post when it went up, then revisted today. Now that's what I call thread drift!

Spardo

#28 Post by Spardo »

Captain Morgan wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:30 am Looked at the opening post when it went up, then revisted today. Now that's what I call thread drift!
Not a dirty word here, it's called discussion and the routes it takes us. :)

[mention]Pathca[/mention] Well I don't know who paid Wogan, not sure who does. Each to his own I suppose. Since my retirement, as a driver, I have driven almost 900,000 kms in a charitable cause, receiving only (at the latest) 19c/km for my car when the state allows at least 30, and €16 for a meal if away from home overnight. I only gave up this year because I now have to do what you do. Albeit for one person.

Pathca

#29 Post by Pathca »

At least I go home at night,it’s much harder to care for one person

Spardo

#30 Post by Spardo »

Pathca wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:58 pm At least I go home at night,it’s much harder to care for one person
Indeed, fortunately, in one sense, my one person spends a lot of time sleeping. :)