BBC censorship again?

Spardo

BBC censorship again?

#1 Post by Spardo »

Was much looking forward to 2 of my favourite programmes on Friday night, Have I Got News For You? and Still Game. Both cancelled without explanation and replaced with something else. Fair enough Would I Lie To You is another favourite but Miranda certainly isn't.

What possibly could have been said on either of them to cause this, something to do with another stabbing perhaps? If so it's a wonder we aren't permanently faced with blank screens.

Pathca

Re: BBC censorship again?

#2 Post by Pathca »

HIGNFY was definitely cancelled because of the MPs stabbing

hughnique

#3 Post by hughnique »

Agree with you there Spardo Miranda never struck me as funny, she is always falling over, probably watched too many Norman Wisdom films as a kid. Would I lie to you, highly amusing at times especially when that German gets on there, but all repeats, and it's worse as I get a barrage from SWMBO abut it's a repeat, I usually get the fact it is about 5 minutes from the end.

Sparkle

#4 Post by Sparkle »

I agree with both you in that I don't find Miranda at all funny in fact there's very few females that I do find funny. I do love WILTY - Bob Mortimer absolutely cracks me up and not to everyone's taste but have also loved Mortimer & Whitehouse gone fishing series a real silly escape for 30 minutes from reality to the point that I have suggested that when we are able to (other commitments) we should find a place for a weekend break in france with a lake take the rods and go fishing :lol: OH said will you net the fish :o - my reply yes but you can put it back :lol: The only fishing I've ever done was as a kid with a net in a pond in the grounds of Nottm. University that was open to the public. I can't touch fish they give me the creeps :lol: Many many years ago when in the UK a french friend took us to a restaurant. She ordered fish for all of us. Yikes - it came with it's head on 🙀 I had to cover it with a lettuce leaf before I could even contemplate eating it - yes I know I'm very 'special' as the french would say :lol:
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Bayleaf

#5 Post by Bayleaf »

I didn't realise H IGNFY was back on again. Is it a bit watered down these days? The Mash Report, now called Late Night Mash is on Dave, as Nish and his team are obviously too contraversial for the BBC! Also, Mock the Week has gone.

The WILTY they show are old repeats, as was Miranda, which was funny the first time I saw it years ago, but wearing a bit thing now! Is that the best comedy allowed on BBC now?

Spardo

#6 Post by Spardo »

But what could they have said that was so unpublishable? Especially Still Game, which is years old and in any case does not deal with current events. My heart goes out to the family of the MP, but so it does to the families of every kid, black, white or brown, who is cut down before he/she can get started on life. But nobody censors programmes for them.

niemeyjt

#7 Post by niemeyjt »

But some comedy does date - Dad's Army used to appeal (maybe I was young!) - now Jones's "Don't Panic" is not really funny. Branded is still a classic episode though.

Having said that, Only Fools and Horses is still a classic - the Chandeliers episode being my favourite episode.

Spardo

#8 Post by Spardo »

niemeyjt wrote: ↑Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:31 pm But some comedy does date - Dad's Army used to appeal (maybe I was young!) - now Jones's "Don't Panic" is not really funny. Branded is still a classic episode though.

Having said that, Only Fools and Horses is still a classic - the Chandeliers episode being my favourite episode.
Dad's Army is always watchable for me but I never found Jones funny right from the start. I think it was because he was the only young one playing old, and not very well. All the others were playing their own ages. Jones always reminded me of Mr. Pastry, from my youth. His humour left me completely laughless. Running up and down on the spot with bent legs. I don't even do that now, and I am old. :roll:

Harking back to the latest disappearance, Still Game, at the moment they are showing repeats from 2003 and, although I find it hilarious, they are not so believable as the ones made 15 years later. The characters have not aged, still in their early 70s, but the actors were nowhere near that age when they started.

Pathca

#9 Post by Pathca »

HIGNFY is on tonight at 1035pm [mention]Spardo[/mention]
Last edited by Pathca on Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sparkle

#10 Post by Sparkle »

niemeyjt wrote: ↑Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:31 pm But some comedy does date - Dad's Army used to appeal (maybe I was young!) - now Jones's "Don't Panic" is not really funny. Branded is still a classic episode though.

The one that always makes me laugh is where he goes to lean on the bar that isn't there :D
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride