Price of Electricity

Electricity - French regulations & supplies; Insulation, Brickwork, Roofs, Joinery, Flooring, etc
demi

Price of Electricity

#21 Post by demi »

In the UK my neighbours were firewoman & fireman.

They strongly advised never to run a dishwasher when you were either out or in bed. Of all white goods, dishwashers are the most prone to fires, according to them.

Blaze

Price of Electricity

#22 Post by Blaze »

In our area it seems to be fridges that most often start fires with motors overheating or faulty wiring, which demonstrates the importance of some sort of smoke or heat alarm. And yes, we have been woken up by one of them going off for no apparent reason :lol:

Lori

Price of Electricity

#23 Post by Lori »

demi wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:29 am In the UK my neighbours were firewoman & fireman.

They strongly advised never to run a dishwasher when you were either out or in bed. Of all white goods, dishwashers are the most prone to fires, according to them.
Interesting. I always thought it was clothes dryers that were the most fire prone.

Lori

Price of Electricity

#24 Post by Lori »

Blaze wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:47 am In our area it seems to be fridges that most often start fires with motors overheating or faulty wiring, which demonstrates the importance of some sort of smoke or heat alarm. And yes, we have been woken up by one of them going off for no apparent reason :lol:
Yes, thankfully I guess, we've been woken up several times over the years when there was no fire. The last time, I was in the shower and husband was out of the country, so I was alone. So, there I was dripping wet, climbing up a ladder to stop the thing going off. It could have been heard over in China.

L Austin France

Price of Electricity

#25 Post by L Austin France »

Lori wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:19 am
Blaze wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:47 am In our area it seems to be fridges that most often start fires with motors overheating or faulty wiring, which demonstrates the importance of some sort of smoke or heat alarm. And yes, we have been woken up by one of them going off for no apparent reason :lol:
Yes, thankfully I guess, we've been woken up several times over the years when there was no fire. The last time, I was in the shower and husband was out of the country, so I was alone. So, there I was dripping wet, climbing up a ladder to stop the thing going off. It could have been heard over in China.
No need for a ladder.
If your eyesight's any good & you've a half decent aim a broom handle used to push the alarm's button usually does the trick. ;)

beejay

Price of Electricity

#26 Post by beejay »

demi wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:29 am In the UK my neighbours were firewoman & fireman.

According to Which of the four highest risks dishwashers came 4th https://tinyurl.com/y84scdnh

Washing machines - 1104 fires (17.8%)
Tumble dryers - 1072 fires (17.3%)
Cookers (inc ovens) - 674 fires (10.9%)
Dishwashers - 641 fires (10.3%)
Refrigeration - 501 fires (8.1%)

hughnique

Price of Electricity

#27 Post by hughnique »

Especially if they have a BEKO badge on them, I avoid anything that gets hot with that name. I am sure a lot of my bills, not only the "never used" tumble dryer is down to my passion for keeping Koi Carp, at this time of the year most of it is off but pumps still run, think there are 5 at the moment, albeit they claim to be low wattage. Come the summer the UV is on to deter the algae and that is a fair old amount. Plus the fact that we do have several electric heaters as we need to keep comfortable, I bought a couple of these portable LPG /GPL heaters on wheels, they are fairly good and more controllable than the log burner. Moans again with that, when she goes to bed, upstairs is red hot, I am downstairs in the freezer love it like that.

Char
Site Admin

Price of Electricity

#28 Post by Char »

Char wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:57 pm January 2022 prix kWh 0.0974
January 2023 prix kWh 0.1374

We've had several cheque d'energie over the last 12 months so in all we've paid a lot less this year than normal years.
Just had the bill for Feb/March and it's gone up to 0.1626

DaveW

Price of Electricity

#29 Post by DaveW »

What I can’t quite get my head around is why EDF has to increase prices by so much.

France boasts the highest percentage of production of nuclear power supply in the western world, has a pretty robust supply of hydro electricity. I don’t know what the real total percentage of local cost is but would be interested if anybody has the number.

Why is this associated with world gas/oil price increases when the majority is sunk costs in france and haven’t increased.

exile

Price of Electricity

#30 Post by exile »

EDF have very substantial problems with their nuclear plants and costly pipe replacement, so nuclear is not a free ride to cheap energy.

As to hydro, my recollection is that nuclear is around 85% of the power supplied, leaving only 15% for all of the others - hydro, wind, solar etc.. I think hydro is the next biggest, but big, it is not.