Price of Electricity

Electricity - French regulations & supplies; Insulation, Brickwork, Roofs, Joinery, Flooring, etc
DaveW

Price of Electricity

#31 Post by DaveW »

I understand all that. What I don’t get is joining the collectible blame on world oil/gas prices for the increases in a country that doesn’t buy lot’s of gas/oil for power production because they made a strategic decision years ago not to.

It’s a mystery to me.

Polarengineer

Price of Electricity

#32 Post by Polarengineer »

The problem is with the neighbours. UK, Belgium, Spain, Germany did not adopt the same nuclear policy and are willing to pay more at the power auctions than the French domestic market. I wonder what laws are keeping the lights on in France when there is an enourmous profit up the line.

Headers

Price of Electricity

#33 Post by Headers »

We’ve had our linky for 3 years now. I’m looking at my edf app that shows usage per year/month/day/half hour. I have been sceptical about it for some time. Some days never get added to the info. We’re coming up to the month of reckoning. The screen indicates we’ve used 622kwh less than the comparable 6 months last year. I have screen printed the two years and worked out the difference with pen and paper - 68kwh. Their app is dreadful!

L Austin France

Price of Electricity

#34 Post by L Austin France »

This thread prompted me to have a look at my espace client.
Despite asking twice I have not received any code de verification & now have 3 more goes before the access is blocked.
I've tried to email EDF to find out what's going on but guess what? It has to go through my espace client where they will supposedly send a code de verification........ :roll:
Looks like I'm gonna have to phone 'em.
Brilliant innit!

curtis

Price of Electricity

#35 Post by curtis »

I thought EDF would increase the monthly payment this year but it only changed by a very small amount. I have no idea if we have used less or more this year so will have to wait and pay up in September when the calculations come through.

Hotrodder

Price of Electricity

#36 Post by Hotrodder »

If you think EDF is bad, making it difficult to find out what is going on, try comparing phone contracts. It appears to be made particularly complex to make it near impossible to compare like for like. There seems to be very little consumer protection from misleading advertising in comms as well as power industries.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

niemeyjt

Price of Electricity

#37 Post by niemeyjt »

Seems like EDF's problems are over . . . for now:

France becomes Europe’s top energy exporter as British demand surges

Country’s nuclear power operator finally fixes cracks in its ageing fleet of reactors

France has become Europe’s top energy exporter amid a surge in British demand after the country’s state-backed nuclear power operator finally fixed cracks in its ageing fleet of reactors.

The country’s total net exports stood at 17.6 TWh in the first six months of 2023, according to data analysis company Enappsys. This is roughly enough energy to power 5 million homes for a year.

Enappsys said most of this flowed to Italy and Britain, which were the two largest importers of energy in Europe over the same period.

Jean-Paul Harreman, director of EnAppSys, said: “The cause for the increase of exports in France versus the previous year was an increased availability of the country’s nuclear assets.”

Clement Bouilloux, Enappsys’ French territory manager, said the figures also suggest the UK, which imports around half its gas needs, remained one of the most vulnerable countries to another spike in prices.

Gas is also used to fuel around a third of the UK’s electricity generation, so rising gas prices usually lead to rising electricity prices. Mr Bouilloux said: “The UK is pretty dependent on outside gas and it’s quite expensive to produce electricity with gas power plants.”

It comes after France’s EDF was forced to shut down several of its nuclear power plants last year after discovering cracks and corrosion in some pipes used to cool reactor cores. The company expects nuclear output to be 20pc higher this year.

Mr Harreman said: “Although availability is still 10-15pc lower than normal, the increase in capacity of between 5 and 10 GW versus last year helped to flip the French energy balance to export again.”

High voltage cables buried under the seabed that connect the electricity systems of neighbouring countries enable excess power to be easily traded between countries. Exports and imports are largely driven by price.

Figures published by the department for Energy Security and Net Zero showed net electricity imports rose 44pc in the first three months of 2023 compared with the same period a year earlier as French electricity prices fell.

Enappsys said a surge in hydropower production in France due to heavy rain also boosted exports. Mr Harreman said: “As cheaper generation became available to the French market, it started exporting to the UK again. The price differential ensured that cheaper power flowed from France to Britain.”

The figures also showed Germany became a net energy importer in the first half of 2023 as the country’s last three nuclear power plants were finally shut down.

Germany first began using nuclear power in 1961. The country pushed through its first plan to phase out nuclear power in the early 2000s, and this was sped up after the Fukushima disaster in Japan in 2011. However, the decision has exacerbated the country’s energy crisis as it continues to wean itself off Russian energy.

Enappsys said: “The closure of nuclear power plants was the main reason why the energy balance flipped to imports. These closures meant that Germany had to source additional power from other countries in periods of low renewable generation.”

source: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/20 ... nd-surges/

DaveW

Price of Electricity

#38 Post by DaveW »

I’m obviously ignorant and don’t understand the bigger picture but why the heck am I paying 10% more as of this month?

Lori

Price of Electricity

#39 Post by Lori »

Yes, ours goes up as of: - One heck of a jump.

14/09/2023 selon l'article 8 de vos Conditions Générales de Vente.

Les nouveaux prix de votre offre :

Abonnement : 19,97 € TTC*/mois
Consommation Heures Creuses : 0,1891 € TTC* / kWh
Consommation Heures Pleines : 0,2523 € TTC* / kWh

elsie

Price of Electricity

#40 Post by elsie »

DaveW wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 9:10 pm I’m obviously ignorant and don’t understand the bigger picture but why the heck am I paying 10% more as of this month?
France has announced the bouclier tarifaire sur les prix de l'électricité, which has kept the electricity price much lower in France than other EU countries (by a very large subsidy) will be removed at the end of 2024. See the graph on this page https://tecsol.blogs.com/mon_weblog/202 ... 3%BBt.html

There were predictions that as a result of the gradual removal of the bouclier tarifaire, after the 10% electricity price increase in France in Aug 2023, there will be further increases of 17% in Feb 2024, 17% in August 2024 and 17% in Jan 2025. But these figures may be erroneous https://www.ozap.com/actu/cnews-s-excus ... ite/634846