Electric roller blinds

Electricity - French regulations & supplies; Insulation, Brickwork, Roofs, Joinery, Flooring, etc
L Austin France

Electric roller blinds

#1 Post by L Austin France »

We've two ground floor lounge windows with 'leccy roller blinds I fitted about 18 years ago.
One has performed faultlessly, moving as soon as energised, whereas the other, for some years, has had a mind of it's own. Switched up or down it always does what's asked of it but can take up to 20 seconds before anything happens.
Strangely it has behaved perfectly for the last few weeks moving instantly the moment it's energised.
I've always thought it was recalcitrant due to a dodgy capacitor taking time to charge up but now wonder why it's instant.
Any ideas?

tagh

Electric roller blinds

#2 Post by tagh »

Damp?

Polarengineer

Electric roller blinds

#3 Post by Polarengineer »

Do you operate it with a remote?
Perhaps you moved some signal obstructing element recently that was blocking the receiver.
Maybe not.
However, something changed and was it due to a wind blown window banging?

MAD87

Electric roller blinds

#4 Post by MAD87 »

All our windows have electric roller blinds. The first thing to do is replace the battery in the up/down switch - usually in the space below the direction buttons. We've had to replace a few, but they cost pence from any supermarket.
We've also had to replace 2 motors, rather more than pence...

L Austin France

Electric roller blinds

#5 Post by L Austin France »

Thanks for your interest folks.
1- the blinds are wired directly to up/ off/down switches.
2- no window banging as it wasn't opened.
3- Don't think it's damp. works fine in wet weather. the shutter box is fitted under the lintol & not subject to direct rain although the roller-motor is subject to being surrounded by the wet blind on occaasions.
4- the blind operation has been intermitant for ages but the timing of when it 'decided' to move was not consistent & varied from about 5 to 20 seconds. It's now instant.

Polarengineer

Electric roller blinds

#6 Post by Polarengineer »

So it don't need fixing (yet)

elsie

Electric roller blinds

#7 Post by elsie »

Have you tried swapping the switches to see if that is the cause of the problem? I assume you are not holding the switch until the blind moves? Could be worn or dirty contacts?

L Austin France

Electric roller blinds

#8 Post by L Austin France »

elsie wrote: Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:32 pm Have you tried swapping the switches to see if that is the cause of the problem? I assume you are not holding the switch until the blind moves? Could be worn or dirty contacts?
I'll try changing the switch if & when it plays up again. At the mo it's fine.
The switch has three buttons, click up or down (no need to hold) push centre button for off. When it's playing up we click up/down & walk away to open/shut the other blind. When this is done the dodgy one had normaly moved.

Spectrum

Electric roller blinds

#9 Post by Spectrum »

If you know the make of the shutters, ie "Somfy" they may have a Q&A page on their website.

Sparkle

Electric roller blinds

#10 Post by Sparkle »

Maybe it's just old age catching up? We've just had our wind up patio roller blind altered to electric - fantastic, we should have done it years ago and of course at the moment it's fascinating the kittens fortunately the button is too far up the wall for them to reach it just yet but they've been watching me and I know from experience what comes next :lol:
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride