All electric and power outage.

Electricity - French regulations & supplies; Insulation, Brickwork, Roofs, Joinery, Flooring, etc
Vallie

#1 Post by Vallie »

During strong winds on Friday our power went off at 3pm. It was not back on until 10.30am Saturday.
We heat by log burners, have a gas hob and backup battery led lamps.
With the push to get everyone to have electric vehicles needing charging, heating by heat pumps requiring electricity, and all electric ovens and hobs, how will those fully electrified cope with 19hr outages.
If the power cut had continued we could have driven out for lunch and charged phones and tablets from our diesel car.
I am in my 70s and will stay fossil fueled as long as possible.

Nomoss

#2 Post by Nomoss »

Vallie wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:35 pm how will those fully electrified cope with 19hr outages.
Probably by buying a bl**dy great standby diesel powered generator.

niemeyjt

#3 Post by niemeyjt »

Isn't there an idea that in such an event your electric car can feed power back into your house?

RobertArthur

#4 Post by RobertArthur »

@Vallie, you don't have to drive out for lunch to charge those low power batteries of smartphones and tablets. They will not drain your diesel car battery and It would save some fuel and other expenses.

Another approach, build your own mini solar power system. All you need is one solar panel, an old car battery and a simple charger. You could with standard car 12V --->5 V USB adapters feed several smartphones or other USB devices. Or install emergency lights in your house, using a separate 12 V wiring system and 12 V LEDs.

Charging laptops wtih their 230 V power supplies is also possible. A low cost, low power 12V dc ---> 230 V ac inverter is all what it takes. This works in most cases, sometimes not. Reason: the 230 V AC output of these low cost guys is not always a perfect sine wave. Yes, the energy content and voltage are the same, the waveform not.

Hotrodder

#5 Post by Hotrodder »

The only caveat to the good advice above is to bear in mind that long runs in 12volt cabling between source and appliance should be avoided due to resistance of thin copper cable.
Excessive resistance causes voltage drop at the end of the line.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Spectrum

#6 Post by Spectrum »

I assume some cars have a dedicated socket for powering small appliances mine does up to 100W, it also has two USB outlets as well. We are all electric, our UFH will keep warm for about 7/8 hours we have a duel fuel hob also a camping stove just in case, will be getting a log burner fitted this winter to be extra sure of some heat, my main concern is the freezers thawing out, I know they are ok for 24hrs but longer than that ouch :(

niemeyjt

#7 Post by niemeyjt »

Tesla powerwalls, or similar, address that concern. They can also be programmed to recharge on low-tariff electricity and be the sole source of power during high-tariff times. Some power banks use recycled electric car batteries that drop below their 80% or whatever it is - and can be topped up via a solar panel as well. I wonder whether we will see more of them as electricity supplies become more stretched and less reliable?

exile

#8 Post by exile »

2019 we lost our power for 47 hours. Heavy wet snow fell mid November when the trees were still in leaf. This brought down trees onto the power and communication lines. Elsewhere the weight of snow was enough to cause the collapse of HT power pylons.

The village rallied round and organised small generators, which we declined since others had a greater call than we did - having dual fuel cooking and a wood burner.

After 47 hours the freezers were still below -18C. We avoided going in during the outage and with it being November they were full from the harvest from the garden.

niemeyjt

#9 Post by niemeyjt »

Not opening them and covering them with a duvet are two recommendations from the electricity providers before they cut power.