Hot Water Heater breaker

Electricity - French regulations & supplies; Insulation, Brickwork, Roofs, Joinery, Flooring, etc
Lori

Hot Water Heater breaker

#1 Post by Lori »

We have a 100L Atlantic Lineo hot water heater newly installed in the new shower room in April of this year. Our EDF subscription was the Option Heures Creuses. This hot water heater does not work with this option. Our plumber suggested we switch to Option Base as Atlantic recommends also. So, we did this yesterday.

OH thinks that the breaker switch needs to be in FORCED mode. I disagree. From my understanding forced mode is just that FORCED. It is only to be used in emergency type cases where there is no hot water and you need some. This is why it will always run in forced mode for about 2 or 3 hours (depending on the size of your boiler) and then it AUTOMATICALLY reverts back to 'auto' mode.

There are 3 options on the breaker: off, auto and forced. I think the breaker should remain on auto.

Can anyone confirm this ?

Thank you !

hughnique

Hot Water Heater breaker

#2 Post by hughnique »

My understanding is that it is left on Auto then at about 23.30 hrs it activates the heater and switches off at around 07.30 hrs, I assume that on forced it will automatically switch off at the next off signal. Re reading your post if you have the three way switch in your board, why does the water heater not work, it is not the heater that dictates the on off period, it is a message from EDF to the breaker to activate said heater.

Lori

Hot Water Heater breaker

#3 Post by Lori »

Ah, the Atlantic Lineo series works in a different way than older boilers. It needs a continues electrical connection. Hours creuses don't keep it connected, so hot water will not be stable. It does not mean the heater runs 24/7. Once the unit is hot, it won't heat again until the thermostat requires it too. And, we can set the level of hot water we need based on how often and when it is used. We also can use the ECO option for it to memorize (over a 2 week period) how often we use the heater and it sets itself to heat during those specific times, saving money. We only use hot water upstairs for 1 morning shower and 1 evening shower. Either option ECO or AUTO need continuous access to electricity - even if they don't use it continuously.

It has taken us a long time to figure out all the ins and outs of the machine.

The breaker thing was just basic breaker stuff - IMO. Auto should be where it stays in normal operation. Forced is only used if there has been a power outage and you have no hot water. Or your boiler has been turned off for some other reason and you have no hot water. Once Forced is used and hot water has fully heated, Forced moves automatically to Auto .... Right ???

RobertArthur

Hot Water Heater breaker

#4 Post by RobertArthur »

@ Lori, as long as the "wake-up signal" of ENEDIS comes in, you don't need the manual override function of the marche forcé switch. The "auto" position should be enough. A simple diagram. During the heures creuses there should be a voltage of 230 V on the two lower contacts of the 2 amp MCB/disjoncteur. Inside the meter there is a little glass fuse, also protecting the outgoing signal.

Lori

Hot Water Heater breaker

#5 Post by Lori »

Thank you so much LAF.

RobertArthur

Hot Water Heater breaker

#6 Post by RobertArthur »

Lori, a feuille de route for the Sagem type meters (contacts C1 - C2) and associated fuse of 2 A. And the Linky as well.

My first names are almost correctly abbreviated, but you are only one letter wrong, it should be RAF. Or just RA as usual.

Sagem type

Inside the contacteur jour/nuit there is a relay coil {bobine), DC resistance about 3300 Ohms. Easy to measure with a simple multimeter (power off...). Open coil: no auto function.

Lori

Hot Water Heater breaker

#7 Post by Lori »

Sorry about the initials. I was not paying attention when I posted.

Thank you for the confirmation and the additional info. - which, for the most part went over my head - but I had seen similar data on the Atlantic website too. :?

We've left the breaker on 'auto' and hopefully, I'll have hot water for my shower this morning. That should confirm all is well..

EDF confirmed they switched us from Heurses Creuses to Option Base at midnight night of 1 nov.

RobertArthur

Hot Water Heater breaker

#8 Post by RobertArthur »

Good morning Lori, not too much warm water I guess. As soon as you don't get the hc/hp wake-up signal anymore - from your meter by fil pilote wire to your tableau - the coil inside your relay (contacteur jour/nuit) doesn't get energized. In other words: you don't activate its switch, no current flowing through the 16 or 20 amp MCB to your chauffe-eau.

This is the theory, probably a feed back from your field experiment soon... The position auto on the contacteur jour/nuit needs the day/night signal from the masters of the grid. The position marche forcée is now the place to be....

Lori

Hot Water Heater breaker

#9 Post by Lori »

Oh wait, so you are saying the 'auto' position is not the correct one. We need to keep it on marche forcée ? Won't that automatically move back to the 'auto' position ?

RobertArthur

Hot Water Heater breaker

#10 Post by RobertArthur »

Lori, if you have a working hc/hp abonnement the incoming wake-up signal forces the slider switch on the contacteur jour/nuit back to its auto position. The marche forcée only works during the heures pleines, to enable the dear client to give a temporary extra boost to the eletric boiler during the expensive hours. From now on it will only obey the masters of the house.