Sealed black box?

Electricity - French regulations & supplies; Insulation, Brickwork, Roofs, Joinery, Flooring, etc
Char
Site Admin

Sealed black box?

#1 Post by Char »

Does anyone know what the sealed black (Bakelite) box that is situated after the disjuncture differential is called.
All it has written on it is - colson fiemme type 722302 pour changer le calibrage....

I'm asking because it's started to get rather hot recently and smells of hot electrics. We're on the 06kVA option base and have always known that if we have the hot water tank on we can't run the washing machine or dishwasher at the same time, but now it's overheating with just the dishwasher or oven going on their own.

We need to know what the box is called before we phone EDF to come a sort the thing out, and can't find out anywhere what the name of it is.

OH's pondering breaking the seal to have a look and see what's going on, which I don't think is a good idea and want to phone EDF before he gets fed up with it.

Many thanks,
Char

basquesteve

Sealed black box?

#2 Post by basquesteve »

Hi Char

I found this https://www.fournisseurs-electricite.co ... isjoncteur I

I think it would be wise to leave be and ring EDF
Steve

Char
Site Admin

Sealed black box?

#3 Post by Char »

Thanks basquesteve, they name everything but - I think I'll call it boite or truc pour augmenter l'ampérage du disjoncteur and hope for the best.
I shan't phone them until Monday though, goodness knows what they charge for a weekend call out, hopefully it won't catch light in the meantime. :shock:

We don't know why it's only just starting doing it, OH thinks it's probably a lose wire or something, but we can't look and see because they've sealed the box.

RobertArthur

Sealed black box?

#4 Post by RobertArthur »

Char, a very old Disjoncteur Différentiel, something like this one?

To recap: from the grid to your house the electrons go through two impressive EDF fuses (fusibles EDF), the meter (compteur) and finally the disjoncteur de branchement, DB, main switch. This is all sealed ENEDIS territory, côté fournisseur (NFC 14-100 regs). From the output of the DB it's all your responsiblity, côté client (NF C 1500 regs).

An example: top, right the grey box for the EDF fuses, a green LINKY meter and a modern DB.

Don't break the seals, the ENEDIS guys do not like this at all. If it is a very old DB, it probably has seen better days. Somewhere there should be production year, as on this three-phase DB. Could also be an internal contact resistance, wiring not very tight anymore, trying to behave as an electric heater.

From Monday to Saturday for les particuliers, here are the pone numbers. Have your postal code and unique PDL number ready (Point de Livraison, see your facture EDF). Prepare some French texts - on paper - indicating the nature of your problem, suggestion: " ....mon disjoncteur de branchement qui est situé à l'intérieur de mon domicile saute régulièrement et de façon aléatoire. Et il surchauffe énormement. Ce n'est pas notre compteur intelligent LINKY qui coupe le courant..... etc."
Last edited by RobertArthur on Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Sparkle

Sealed black box?

#5 Post by Sparkle »

@Char oh no don't break the seal I remember reading this some years back but can't remember where but I know it said that they are the property of EDF and are security sealed to avoid tampering, for which there is a fine.
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Char
Site Admin

Sealed black box?

#6 Post by Char »

Thanks RobertArthur,
We have a panel on the wall that has this black bakelite box, below that is the linky box and below the linky is our disjoncteur differential which is newish.
I'll take a picture and post it on here later - OH thinks it's probably this as well
RobertArthur wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:51 pm an internal contact resistance, wiring not very tight any more, trying to behave as an electric heater.
I think I've persuaded OH not to break the seal to have a look.

tagh

Sealed black box?

#7 Post by tagh »

Very wise, Char. Rule 10001, never break seals unless on a box of chocolates!

RobertArthur

Sealed black box?

#8 Post by RobertArthur »

Char, exactly the same type of bakelite box? Two DBs would be a bit too much... Perhaps your black enclosure has two fuse holders inside for what I described as the EDF fuses. Fuse holders not doing what they are supposed to do, having a tight grip, or wiring more or less loose after many years of temperature cycling. Dim the lights this weekend, switch off the chauffe-eau because you'll have to wait till Monday morning, ENEDIS helpdesk closed during the weekend. Emergency desk open of course.

Char
Site Admin

Sealed black box?

#9 Post by Char »

IMG_20211127_141502[1].jpg
At least if I disappear from here over the weekend people will know I've only lost my electricity and won't panic. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Blaze

Sealed black box?

#10 Post by Blaze »

Char - point out to your OH that there is a clear warning not to tamper with the seal on pain of persecution !! It's a similar box as ours and belongs to EDF (for their protection)
Sound advice from @RobertArthur according to OH who's an electrical engineer 👍