Increases in energy prices, again....

Electricity - French regulations & supplies; Insulation, Brickwork, Roofs, Joinery, Flooring, etc
Mangetout

#51 Post by Mangetout »

We live in an 1980s modern 2 storey house. 4 beds, quite large. Lots of windows, sadly only secondary glazing. Fioul central heating costs avg 700 pa, electric avg 750 pa and gas bottles for cooking and spot heating about 400 pa. So about 1850 pa. We are well insulated, all draughts blocked, heavy lined curtains at windows and doors plus shutters always shut at night. So not too bad I suppose.

Quiksilver

#52 Post by Quiksilver »

The sun is a huge factor here re. heating. Even in the middle of winter, as long as it's sunny, the PAC has a day off. Sadly, the tendency seems to be more and more towards overcast weather, if not downright wet stuff. Anyone selling a house in Gard or Bouches-de-Rhône? - Can't afford Var or Alpes-Maritimes :D

Wilbro

#53 Post by Wilbro »

Checking our latest bill from EDF I see it was just over 4 euros more than the corresponding one last year.

Sparkle

#54 Post by Sparkle »

@Mangetout same here in that our bill this year was 40 euros less than last year. Ours is a 4 bed 3 storey 1850s built stone house - the end of three and on 'windy corner'. Well insulated roof and plasterboard walls with wool behind in the loft & dble glazing. Our coldest room is the sitting room fortunately we are only in there in the evening and there is a wood burner but it only gets lit at Christmas or if we have visitors so only a couple of times a year. I know some of the cold in there comes from the chimney through the stove so I make sure the vents are closed when not in use. Have you noticed how much draught comes through the keyhole on the front door! Thats now got a cover!
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Blaze

#55 Post by Blaze »

Sparkle wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:15 pm Have you noticed how much draught comes through the keyhole on the front door!
Yes, and not just the front door ! I stuff the holes with paper :lol:
The last owners changed the old wooden windows and outside doors (apart from the oak front door) to PVC but they weren't very well fitted. We've put a solar-powered electric shutter on the front door which we keep almost permanently closed because of the draughts, and with sausages and a thick curtain, it's pretty good.

Mangetout

#56 Post by Mangetout »

We've got a shutter on our front door too. Our door is warped and not easy to draught proof, but the shutter plus a lined curtain and a sausage does the trick.

Hotrodder

#57 Post by Hotrodder »

Our old front door is in pretty bad shape and there is no frame at the bottom. The concrete dips in the middle making it the last entry point for biting cold draughts. I did a mad thing and bought a door from a friend for €80. New one, costing over €1000 with a nice double glazed panel in the top half. Very heavy and about 4 inches too tall. I figured I would have it and just cut the excess 4 inches off the bottom. It remains propped up against the sitting room wall. I can't lift it to do anything with it. Still. It's a conversation piece.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Mangetout

#58 Post by Mangetout »

Can't anyone help you cut it down and fit it? Seems such a waste.

Quiksilver

#59 Post by Quiksilver »

Hotrodder wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 6:33 pm Our old front door is in pretty bad shape and there is no frame at the bottom. The concrete dips in the middle making it the last entry point for biting cold draughts. I did a mad thing and bought a door from a friend for €80. New one, costing over €1000 with a nice double glazed panel in the top half. Very heavy and about 4 inches too tall. I figured I would have it and just cut the excess 4 inches off the bottom. It remains propped up against the sitting room wall. I can't lift it to do anything with it. Still. It's a conversation piece.
You don't need to lift it! Rope OH in to help you tilt it onto it's side, cut down and then it will weigh less so she can help you to hang it :D Woman power! :lol:

niemeyjt

#60 Post by niemeyjt »

Slight sidetrack, but here is part of an e-mail for my UK supply received today:

leccy.png

That is 50% or so on electricity and 75% on gas.

Before the changes our bill was £100 pcm. I guess in future it will be £150 to £175. How someone on minimum wage will cope with this I just cannot imagine.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.