Increases in energy prices, again....

Electricity - French regulations & supplies; Insulation, Brickwork, Roofs, Joinery, Flooring, etc
Sparkle

#71 Post by Sparkle »

@hughnique crikey your bill is shocking but obviously needs must. Agree with you about the faff of wood burners. We had a wood burning cooker originally but when OH was laid up with a bad back & couldn't move for around 5 days and at the same time I'd caught the flu it was down to me to keep the cooker going filling the wheelbarrow with wood from the other side of the road stored in our porcherie, dragging it down the kerb then up the kerb through the garden and into the kitchen. At that point & in our early 50s I made the decision that I would not want to be doing that in my 70s especially if we are both ill at the same time so out went the wood cooker and in came an electric one - and I'm pleased to say it doesn't cost as much as using wood around 10 euros per week & it's on 24/7.
With this hand, I will lift your sorrows. Your cup will never be empty, for I will be your wine. With this candle, I will light your way into darkness. With this ring, I ask you to be mine.........The Corpse Bride

Bayleaf

#72 Post by Bayleaf »

hughnique wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:44 am Just received the latest EDF bill €943,
Is that for two months, for heaters (how many?) on all the time? Size of house? Just interested, as a client will have to change from her slowly dying oil CH to electric next year.

hughnique

#73 Post by hughnique »

Yep 2 months, just a couple of heaters on all day but off at night, immersion, couple of low wattage in the gite to stop the pipes bursting, possibly the tumble drier, usage and the pumps on my pond which are 24/7.

Blaze

#74 Post by Blaze »

@hughnique Have you thought about getting logs delivered cut to size ? It costs a bit more and you get less for your "corde" but could be much more convenient.
Yes, a tumble dryer and electric heaters on all day will gobble electricity. For the cost of your electricity, wouldn't you do better to sort out your wood burner or even exchange it for granulés ?

hughnique

#75 Post by hughnique »

I do get them delivered cut to what I think is the right size, now at 33cm, but some of them are quite big in thickness and OH finds them difficult, the last delivery was 210€ for the corde, then I am now splitting them with the electric log splitter,[ vicious circle ]. I don't know what I need to do to sort out my ood burner, it is just an insert in our sitting room, where we hibernate in the winter months. Normally we light up late afternoon, early evening, and upstairs gets warm by the virtue of heat rising, don't like it too hot in the bedrooms. As for a pellet thing, neighbour has one, terribly noisy and as said before you have to load the pellets in to a hopper and his one is pretty futile on giving out any heat. Plus there is the going o get them and unloading when home, it's like going to do a shop, just think how many times you handle the shopping from shelf to cupboard.

Polarengineer

#76 Post by Polarengineer »

hughnique wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 1:58 pm Normally we light up late afternoon, early evening, and upstairs gets warm by the virtue of heat rising, don't like it too hot in the bedrooms.
I don't know what it is you smoke in the late afternoon, but I would keep clear of it if it cools the mood in the bedroom. Personally, I have the windows open all year round and it can still get hot in bed. :oops:

Spardo

#77 Post by Spardo »

hughnique wrote: Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:44 am Just received the latest EDF bill €943, absolutely crippling, still got to be paid, there is a leaflet in there as well telling me, I think, that the 4% cap is a load of false information, so looks like that is another smoke screen. Bit dependent on leccy as we do not have gas or oil, got the wood burner but that in itself is a faff, dragging that wood that has had to be stacked in the barn, most of it after having the log splitter treatment, just find it strenuous in the past couple of years, and the wood burner is not that controllable like an electric rad. We did have a fan thing to distribute warm air but when that started up it was like sitting on the runway at Gatwick. I keep looking at all these offers for heat pumps etc but I am sure most of them are a con.
Blimey, you could afford your own power station for that. Ours is something over €200 for 2 months in winter and we heat via air to air pumps, nothing else. The water is heated by an electric chauffe eau. We haven't used gas for years and the woodburner, always there in reserve, hasn't been lit for 2 years, and then only once per winter, twice. Sensibly, we would have to get the chimney swept before we use it again, I used to do it myself every August by walking up the roof, but at my age now perhaps not a good idea. :roll:

Hotrodder

#78 Post by Hotrodder »

No. Not a good idea at all. My last trip up onto the roof was in October to fit a flue liner and then yet another attempt to stop a roof leak near the chimney. It's no fun at 75.

The roof still leaks but I'm not going up there again so we keep a bucket permanently under the spot where the leak emerges downstairs.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Spectrum

#79 Post by Spectrum »

Just got our new up-date for the next twelve months of EDF, all electric newish house was paying 155€, new one 171€ :D :D very pleased with that was expecting a 30/40€ per month rise. :clap: :clap:

niemeyjt

#80 Post by niemeyjt »

I thought the rise was capped - hence why EDF is to be nationalised - so rises should be small, for now.