Obliterating paint?

:house_with_garden: French DIY - challenges & solutions, Painting & Wallpapering etc.
Blaze

Obliterating paint?

#11 Post by Blaze »

exile wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:23 pm Alkyds are polyesters - another plastic.
That was rather my point ! I agree about not being a great fan of acrylic - it's hard to get a really good finish. But it's quick and easy to use .....

Hotrodder

Obliterating paint?

#12 Post by Hotrodder »

What ever yardstick you use to compare the two formulations, the water based stuff doesn't last as long outside. That means more cost over the long term. And of course, more profit for the shareholders as a result of the eco propaganda.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

exile

Obliterating paint?

#13 Post by exile »

Blaze wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:34 pm
exile wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:23 pm Alkyds are polyesters - another plastic.
That was rather my point ! I agree about not being a great fan of acrylic - it's hard to get a really good finish. But it's quick and easy to use .....
I thought your point was against water based acrylics because they create/contain acrylic plastics.
My point is that oil based paints create polyester plastics.

So on the plastics front and plastics generation - no change on moving from oil based paint to water based acrylic, just a different plastic.

Blaze

Obliterating paint?

#14 Post by Blaze »

@exile I don't express myself very well sometimes !!

exile

Obliterating paint?

#15 Post by exile »

Me too @Blaze

DominicBest

Obliterating paint?

#16 Post by DominicBest »

I was using Google the other day and there was a headline on the homepage about someone who always painted walls a deep red colour before applying white based top coats. I read the article thinking it might be interesting but at the end of the day there was a simple answer… he simply loves red but needs lighter colours in his home. The red walls, even if they’re only there for a couple of days give him pleasure.

Hotrodder

Obliterating paint?

#17 Post by Hotrodder »

:crazy:
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.