Cheapo new gate

:house_with_garden: French DIY - challenges & solutions, Painting & Wallpapering etc.
L Austin France

Cheapo new gate

#1 Post by L Austin France »

Knocked up a new gate today. The last one I made was going a bit rotten after nearly 20 years without treatment. Started at 1000hrs by going to buy timber at our local. Gedimat. Pressure treated volige & chevrons cost about 65 euros & I've lots left for other jobs. Ripped the volige down with table saw, got stuck in with pneumatic nailer & leccy screwdriver & 6 hours later all done in time for beer.
I use 15cm wide volige for lots of things as cheap & has many uses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

exile

Cheapo new gate

#2 Post by exile »

Nice work LAF

Lori

Cheapo new gate

#3 Post by Lori »

Looks very nice. Great work.

elsie

Cheapo new gate

#4 Post by elsie »

I thought it was better to put the top hinge bracket upside down so the gate couldn't be lifted off?
That is how my metal potager gate was installed.

L Austin France

Cheapo new gate

#5 Post by L Austin France »

elsie wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 7:43 pm I thought it was better to put the top hinge bracket upside down so the gate couldn't be lifted off?
That is how my metal potager gate was installed.
Elsie, we live in the countryside amongst 3 Ha of fields accessible on every aspect apart from the actual house & barn adjacent the road.
If anyone really wants to access our place it's open sesame.
The gate's there to give us a bit of privacy & stop our mutt getting out. If anyone wants to nick it well, bully for them. The last'un was there for yonks with the same hinge arrangement. :D

Hotrodder

Cheapo new gate

#6 Post by Hotrodder »

Keeping it in "lift off" mode will also be helpful if you ever decide to go mad and paint it.
I have fabricated some steel security grilles and hung them in the same way. Very convenient to lift them off to lay out on trestles to paint them.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.