Saving energy

:house_with_garden: French DIY - challenges & solutions, Painting & Wallpapering etc.
hughnique

Saving energy

#1 Post by hughnique »

Having received a devastating leccy bill lately I decided to go on a money saving or energy saving crusade, I bought a load of these GU10 LED lamps and fitted them in all my existing fittings which took them. I was somewhat confused as to the info on the packaging that these lamps were a F or G rating, I thought we were supposed to be improving the consumption or am I missing something

Headers

Saving energy

#2 Post by Headers »

We were hunting for some A or better LEDs last year. They are difficult to find. Some are B or C or many more F or G. It seems to be because of a revision of the rating system to try and get manufacturers to improve bulb performance even more.

Hotrodder

Saving energy

#3 Post by Hotrodder »

What you are missing is the reality of what they are claiming. Another bogus point is the amount of hours service life. :lol: :lol:
You can get a low consumption bulb to fit pretty much any socket, at a price. It doesn't have to be GU10. They even stick an LED inside an old fashioned filament bulb glass envelope. Tenner a pop, or more. It take a while to figure out a rough equivalent in Lumens to old school wattage. Armed with that as a starting point you have to hope they quote a true Lumens figure for the LED unit.
Candles were so much easier, but today they are silly expensive.
Humanity landed on the moon over fifty years ago but it seems too much to ask for a reliable telephone/internet service in rural France.

Lori

Saving energy

#4 Post by Lori »

Hotrodder wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:58 pm Candles were so much easier, but today they are silly expensive.
Yep, ridiculous.

RobertArthur

Saving energy

#5 Post by RobertArthur »

New Energy Label for LED Lamps: What you need to know.

exile

Saving energy

#6 Post by exile »

What do you need to know? Whether that equivalence to 60W is real, theoretical or fictional.

Many I have now do seem to deliver the perceived amount of light that they claim but I have some whose claims must have come from a marketeers dream moment. I am just waiting for them to expire so that I can fit something more appropriate.

DaveW

Saving energy

#7 Post by DaveW »

I bought one of these in 2010/11 can’t remember, it wasn’t cheap but I was fascinated.

https://inhabitat.com/philips-unveils-w ... mmon-bulb/

It’s in my hall and I leave it on at night and when I’m away.

I guess it’s going to go pop one day soon, but I think the ROI is pretty good.

elsie

Saving energy

#8 Post by elsie »

A good description of the new ratings
https://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/blog/new ... ed-to-know
Clipboard_04-14-2024_01.jpg
Clipboard_04-14-2024_02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Lori

Saving energy

#9 Post by Lori »

DaveW wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:52 pm I bought one of these in 2010/11 can’t remember, it wasn’t cheap but I was fascinated.

https://inhabitat.com/philips-unveils-w ... mmon-bulb/

It’s in my hall and I leave it on at night and when I’m away.

I guess it’s going to go pop one day soon, but I think the ROI is pretty good.
Do you know if these are available in France? I looked on Amazon.fr and see exterior models, but not the interior bulbs.

Lori

Saving energy

#10 Post by Lori »

elsie wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:39 pm A good description of the new ratings
https://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/blog/new ... ed-to-know
Clipboard_04-14-2024_01.jpg
Clipboard_04-14-2024_02.jpg
Okay, I guess I am a bit slow. I thought the new LED bulbs were supposed to be more energy efficient. So, why are they classified with such low ratings; E, F and/or G ?